Featured Interesting zippo from WWII

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lennyt, May 12, 2018.

1. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

Found this WWII silver custom made case Zippo lighter.
    Did some research and possibly found persons name who used to own it.
    Wonder if there is a way to confirm that this is in fact correct name.

20180509_202234_HDR.jpg

20180509_202221_HDR.jpg
    Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Iouri, ola402, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

That is an awesome case!

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Is it actually silver? From what looks like verdigris in numerous places it is probably brass plated with silver.

aaroncab likes this.
  4. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

Not sure. I tested in one spot and it show up as silver. Will re test again tomorrow.

judy likes this.
  5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

All zippo cases made during WWII were made of STEEL, because BRASS (the usual case-material, even today) was needed for the war-effort.

If it really was made during WWII, it would be steel. If it was a pre-war lighter, then it would be brass. So far as I know, they didn't start making gold and silver zippo-cases until much later. I mean that's not to say it couldn't be a custom-piece, but I have my doubts...

judy and aaroncab like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I love it. Very Ceylon, with the Sinhalese lion.
    Verdigris can appear on silver of lower finenesses, like .800.
    But if a silver case was custom made in Ceylon, I would expect a higher grade. On the other hand, Asian silversmiths often worked with the silver the customer handed in for the specific commission. That could be anything.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    judy likes this.
  7. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

I already established that this is not original Zippo case. This is custom made case with 1940's Zippo insert. I will test it again for silver today.
    Also I've seen silver custom Zippo cases from this period. In fact I have one somewhere at home.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I agree, with such an overly Ceylonese theme, it simply has to be Ceylon made, and not just engraved there.

aaroncab and judy like this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Beautiful!
    Can we see a photo of the bottom with the Zippo logo?

10. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

There is no Zippo logo. This is a custom made case for Zippo, not by Zippo.

bluumz likes this.
  11. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

I tested it twice in two different spots and it still comes up as a silver. Also inspected lighther under magnification and there is no other metal showing anywhere.

This is from another forum.
    "On coins that are less, say 90% silver ,10% copper, verdigris can occur along with the silvercorrosion compounds. (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/verdigris-and-gold-and-silver.46355/)"

What i think happened is that coin silver was used to create this case.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Shangas

Melting down or reusing silver or gold coins to make other things was very common in those days. I've seen bracelets, cufflinks, belt-buckles, belts, watch-fobs...the list goes on, and on, and on, and on...

So if the case is testing as silver, but has no official markings, then yes, I'd say old silver coins were melted down to provide the metal. Stuff like that definitely happened in those days and is the most likely explanation! :)

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Most jewellery from Africa, the Middle East and many other parts of the world was made from coins because of the reliable silver fineness. Most popular was the Austro-Hungarian Maria Theresia Thaler (MTT), first minted in 1741, with a fineness of 833. Silver in many countries was or is based on the MTT.
    Here is a Yemeni pendant with an MTT, the coin itself was shown as a status symbol, to prove the quality of the silver:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  14. Shangas

AJ is right. Since coins were of PROVEN GOLD or SILVER value, jewelry and accessories were often made of obsolete or foreign gold or silver coins, purely because their silver/gold content COULD NOT be questioned - It was there for everybody to see, which lent weight to their authenticity.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

Another interesting custom made silver zippo case from the same period.

20190207_173120_HDR-873x1164.jpg

20190207_173129_HDR-873x1164.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted