Featured Interesting small bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lavrentii, Oct 13, 2023.

1. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

I have this interesting small bowl. The walls are thick, but at the same time they are very easy to see through, very delicate porcelain. The gold is worn, and all images are in relief enamel. It looks very beautiful, the painting is done very high quality. Please help me set the period and read the markings. It was erased, but since the glaze was on top of the marking, there was a trace left that can be read.
    Is this 20th century?

KSW, judy, Roaring20s and 1 other person like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Not much left of that mark but I think it looks like a Qianlong reign mark. The gilt doesn't look right for that period though. It looks nicely painted so I'm thinking it may be a quality republican period piece.

KSW, judy, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
  4. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

I found on gotheborg mark Qianlong 1736-95. Is that right?[​IMG]

KSW, judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Adding some microscope pictures. It is for sure hand-painted without transparent

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

KSW and judy like this.
  6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

It’s a nice looking bowl or cup. Tea bowl maybe? The wear to the area of the mark is very strange. It looks intentional. Only reason I could imagine to do that is if you wanted to make it look older than it is.

Lavrentii likes this.
  7. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

I am finding a lot of items with scratched marks, not only Chinese. And that’s really strange, why people do this. Even on modern porcelain of different countries. I have one lovely Chinese modern vase with scratched mark. But I still can see that it is modern. So I have idea that some people just scratching all the mark on items that own. I have no idea really why people do that

trip98 likes this.
  8. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

I looked in my book Dating Chinese Porcelain from Facial Features and Adornments written by Eklof. I focused on face outline (goldish/orange), hair style (two tufts shown, but mostly likely another on the other side for three tuft hair style) and the suntanned eye. Similar face outline color shows up on Eklof's charts from 1840s -1890 and 1970s-1990s. The hair tufts are for depiction of children that was most fashionable after 1900. Yet, occasionally show up in 17th century. Your child's eye lines are heavy and ragged and I could not find a similar match. Most likely a pleasing modern piece compared to examples in book mentioned above.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2023
  9. J Dagger

Stra
    Strange. Can’t think of a time I’ve ever seen that. Chinese knock off factories try very hard to recreate age appropriate wear on repro porcelain and pottery. They don’t get it right all the time but they wouldn’t do this either I don’t think. It doesn’t look at all natural no matter how you slice it. Maybe there’s just crazies living near you.

Lavrentii likes this.
  10. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Thank you very much! This is a very professional explanation. I need a book like this!

11. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

I live in England, and there is an interesting story here. Many items go to charity. I don't know why, but sometimes people donate items to charities to sell. I've heard that sometimes people erase any marks when they give away items. And of course, I really like the version just about strange people. I have even seen silverware with erased stamps, and this was undoubtedly done on purpose. Another version is that to prevent the item from being taken away during the war or from refugees, they erased the marks to say that it was just a modern item. In any case, it's still a mystery.

kentworld likes this.
  12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

On china, in particular, scratched marks usually denote a second or sometimes a fake, but usually it's one or two vertical scratches through the mark, not a scribble!

J Dagger likes this.
  13. J Dagger

I’ve seen seconds with altered marks but had forgotten about that. Could be a theory for a repro/fake here.

kentworld and Lavrentii like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted