Featured Interesting masks- Japanese

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Boland, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

D7F95D68-7858-4CC3-8D53-17D7AD6DDC9A.jpeg 14A27FC4-9407-44F5-B92A-518230AA3FB4.jpeg Hi all,please take a look a these. Very cool. There’s some obvious condition issues (hair loss and such) Also I think differences in age (possible use?)

Some still have the ‘original’ tag and price. Vintage souvenir pieces? Definitely has some age.

The photos are of the front and then back. Iam also also still doing my own ‘research’/reading. Thank you for any comments

2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

6. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I like these guys! I woulda grabbed them too.

7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Cool. Glad you also like them. Thanks

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Right you are. Thank you for the comment and lead. Found similar searching Indonesian Javanese Wayang Topeng mask. Or just Topeng (dance) or theatrical mask. Glad you like them. Thanks again

johnnycb09 likes this.
  10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The Iki Ningyo Mask knocks me out (along w/ Iznik Ceramics).

Boland and wlwhittier like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great collection, Boland.
    I wonder if the first one is also Indonesian. I don't recognize him, but those eyes (colour grading) and eyebrows (carved with curls) look Balinese to me.

I love the second one, I feel like that sometimes.:hilarious:
    Or from a collection.
    A classic Javanese mask. Topeng means mask, the Indonesian word for dance is 'tari'. Not all masks are used in dances, they are also used in other types of performances, but all masks are topeng.;)

12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Hi AJ,great thank you for reply and interesting information. The first mask is my favourite (have been searching Indonesian masks but not finding the exact one) Maybe just a wayang mask?

The glass eyes of the Iki Ningyo mask are great. Also is it horse hair on the Noli mask?

So they are wood and paper mache. What would you think regarding possible age range? Do you think some of them might have been used in dances or plays? (Or is that difficult to speculate?) Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the 2nd, 3rd , and 4th......do look like they were made to wear.....and they have scuffing that comes from handling.......

can I say for certain...no.

can I say they are well made......even for tourist items.... yes !

Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not a Wayang character I know. Wayang is mostly based on Hindu epics and Javanese stories.
    Could be a character from a specifically Balinese dance, they like grotesque figures. Dance fashions change on Bali, and some dances are not performed anymore, or were even only performed for a few years, so it is difficult to know them all.
    Javanese/Madurese Wayang is traditional, so more consistent. Wayang Orang, Wayang with actors instead of puppets, is a Madurese invention btw.
    It is a wonderful mask.
    The writing is a bit difficult to read, but it is a Noh mask, a character from the Noh theatre. It could be horse hair.
    My guess is 1950s-60s, but I could be wrong.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    Boland and komokwa like this.
  15. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Well it sounds good overall. Many thanks for sharing your valued insight Komo. Seems to be a much better buy than my previous money wasting art acquisition.

16. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Well it’s all very interesting. Your knowledge as always is most impressive. Thank you again for being so helpful!! I will continue doing some more reading and hopefully learning. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted