Featured Interesting little chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Boland, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

708E5762-5F87-4404-88E9-6FD5FF8AEC22.jpeg E1EB1E4D-4512-44B8-89DE-92A129676F9D.jpeg 55C6F005-7F3D-47A7-9B32-741377BBF8CA.jpeg Hi everyone. A few years ago I brought 2 of these little 3 legged chairs from a collector clearing out his house (Cape Town- South Africa) They looked to be hand carved and have rush seating (I think) They stand about 90cm tall.Their size and crude eagle carving makes me think they might be some reproductions made for children. Any ideas or thoughts on age and origin? Thank you

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Perhaps not deliberate reproductions, but a custom creative pastiche. The three-legged chair type goes back to the 17th century, while the shield back looks more like the mid-20th. Interesting effort!

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think antique or for children either, decorator piece perhaps?
    As Ghopper notes, 3 legged chairs were a "thing" in the 17th century, no one knows for sure why. One theory is, wood-turners showing off their skills, another was less cost.
    The problem is, these chairs are notoriously unstable, lean left or right and you find yourself on the floor so children would not do well in them.

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Much appreciated. Thank you for the comments and information. I do find them intriguing. Yes,perhaps just something someone pieced together for show/decor.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I get a 60s vibe. They are super cool looking!

judy and James Conrad like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Siblye and bluumz like this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very interesting.Thanks. Those original Worpsweder chairs are beautiful.

Draft saved Draft deleted