Interesting Copper Tankard/Decorative Vase Thingy...How many years young?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by RachelW, Sep 10, 2023.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

My mother scored this copper tankard (?) at today's vide grenier. I think its simply lovely, but I am curious as to its age. It looks quite old to me, but I have zero knowledge of metalware and would love an expert opinion! We are located in France. Thank you!

IMG_20230910_104702.jpg IMG_20230910_104729.jpg
    IMG_20230910_104718.jpg IMG_20230910_104740.jpg

Born2it, Potteryplease, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice , it has that raw look of age........but hard to drink from......:playful::playful:

judy, Figtree3, Boland and 2 others like this.
  3. RachelW

Exactly haha, but its not a pitcher and I've got no other word for it :hilarious:

judy likes this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Nice piece.I occasionally watch this show-'We Bought a Chateau' because i enjoy history & architecture.Actually the most enjoyable part of the show's when the two brothers,(the couch surfer & the one who actually works),hit local vide grenier & brocantes.
    It's looks as if there's a fair amount of nice cheap stuff found.Nothing i've found like it in the states-all the sellers at Brimfield & Pasadena are checking Lens & Ebay making sure they aint losing 5 bucks.

judy likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Without tinning inside, this would be dangerous for food or drink.

6. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

looks like a small hallmark on the bottom center?

judy, Figtree3, RachelW and 1 other person like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe.....makers mark..?
    there's a design on the base...but it's obscured..

judy, Figtree3 and RachelW like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

There is also a ribbon like set of letters to the right of center.

judy, Figtree3 and RachelW like this.
  9. RachelW

I check this morning and it is indeed tinned. But its being used as a cooking utensil container, so not to worry. :D

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  10. RachelW

I took a picture of the mark, looks most intentional but its not very clear. I didn't see the letters, but I'll have another look and post everything together in a bit!

judy likes this.
  11. RachelW

Yes indeed, the more I look into it the more niceities I see around here, and never for very much. I've done very well with my budget of 5 euros per item, and there's more to be had in the 10-20 range. This tankard/pitcher/thing (what IS this?) was 8 euros. Definitely bargains to be had in the rural areas! There's not that much super fancy stuff like in the cities, but you can definitely find some old and interesting things for low prices.

judy and komokwa like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe a crown? It is a lovely thingy, and will look great in a kitchen.

judy and RachelW like this.
  13. RachelW

Okay have I got some interesting new photos, let me get them formatted and sent your way

judy likes this.
  14. RachelW

Here's the bottom after a clean/polish. The last two are under a flashlight. Its got a pattern on it, we can't quite make it out. There's circles of dots in a ribbon, but in between there seems to be lines and decorations, almost like branches with flowers or leaves, or perhaps some sort of writing? It gives a Persian/Middle Eastern vibe to me, but the overall item looks European.

The mark looks like a flamingo (photo 2) and now I'm having a hard time seeing anything else. But I don't know what to look for, perhaps you can see it more clearly?

IMG_20230911_115738.jpg IMG_20230911_200418.jpg IMG_20230911_200434.jpg IMG_20230911_200508.jpg

I can't think why I didn't run it through lens yesterday, but tonight I got some conflicting and exciting results.

1st Dibs listing says its 18th French, but this one is bronze. No mark and no design on the bottom.
    https://www.1stdibs.com/fr/meubles/...ronze-français-du-18ème-siècle/id-f_19399512/

This ebay listing says its vintage Persian, this one does have a mark but no design.
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/362234859888

What on earth do we have here?​

Born2it, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The eBay listing does have an impressed mark but I can't tell whether it's the same one as yours. Also their listing title says "Persian" but the note on Country of Manufacture says "Afghanistan." Sounds very specific -- I guess what is now Afghanistan was part of the Persian Empire, but now when items are described as Persian, we usually are referring to Iran.

judy and RachelW like this.
  16. RachelW

Hmm quite true! A small search search on Afganistan brings up plain tankards and pitchers that are nothing like this. Its really hard to think up search terms when I have zero clue what this is haha!

Another search on Persian styles found me this bowl, which has similar engraving as the bottom of mine...but of course all it says is Persian.
    https://www.chairish.com/product/7360162/antique-engraved-persian-copper-bowl

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

I thought Persian when I first saw it, but was looking for more clues. The engraving on the base is the clue.;)
    Not really. That wide base with a slightly tapering body are very West and Central Asian, Persia/Iran or Iranian influenced. Afghan items are the same as their geography, somewhere between Iran and the Indian subcontinent.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    RachelW and Figtree3 like this.
  18. RachelW

Oh interesting! Thanks for that info, the way the handle was attached looked european to me, but I've got no clue about these sorts of things haha! What sort of age do we have here? My mother's isn't fussed as she loves it for the thing itself, but I'm always curious!

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

No idea, but not brand new. I find Asian household items like this very hard to date.

Figtree3 and RachelW like this.
  20. RachelW

Thanks! <3

Any Jewelry likes this.