Interesting copper plate with Touchmark

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by J Dagger, Nov 19, 2023.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Found this in a home with a pretty serious old collection, including a lot of good early Chinese export porcelain for the American and European market. When I was first looking at it I was using eyes that had that porcelain era in mind. 17th-early 19th century. So my first thought was that it was similar to an early pewter plate with Touchmarks. Under zoom I’m half thinking that I’m seeing a dragon and potentially the word Japan underneath it. It doesn’t look like Japanese metal work to me. It’s still looks quite early, in my opinion. I could be totally imagining that. Most of the tinned cooper plates you’ll see have middle eastern designs and decoration on them and are a thinner gauge of metal. This is very thick and free of any decorative elements. Any thoughts on the piece and/or the mark? It is approximately 8 inches across. 15FC3986-496D-42AF-983E-DE384576CF07.jpeg 7A9AB3B6-587C-4D61-AACE-448534437C23.jpeg 4E2C31B3-63AD-4B29-A886-379E9348AF7E.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
    komokwa likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like it could be a tughra mark. Would put origin in to the Arab world.

J Dagger and terry5732 like this.
  3. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

That makes sense. Thank you. I looked at a slew of them and couldn’t find one that would make sense for this worn one but I’m sure you’re right. It would be quite cool to find the match and get a date on it. It’s such a heavy duty tactile thing. I’m considering eating off it. I wonder if there is any health related reason not to? Probably the opposite considering the qualities of copper.