Interesting chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Plur8269, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Plur8269

Plur8269 New Member

Hello,

I'm trying to find some information on this chair. I have been searching online for days and haven't found much. A little history... When my grandmother lived in Germany she bought 2 of these from her doctor's mother, who lived in Spain. My grandmother has not done anything to them and states the fabric has hardly aged. I grew up with these chairs and after years of asking she finally gave me one of them. Haha. If anyone has any knowledge to share it would be greatly appreciated and I'm more than happy to upload more photos as needed.

Thanks in advance,
    Grant

Attached Files:

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Looks like a typical late 19th C tub chair.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

If that fabric is original, these are much newer than late 19th century. This is a style that has been made forever. Really hard to date from these photos but I am not sure that more/better ones will help all that much since the structure is mostly hidden by upholstery.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The upholstery job looks like it's from the late 1950s into the early 1960s. That particular color of velvet was popular at the time. The underside of the chair might have more clues.

5. Plur8269

Plur8269 New Member

Thank you all for the responses.
    My grandmother has not had the chair re-upholstered however, the lady she bought it from may have. My grandmother did emphasize on how new the velvet looked in comparison to the wood and how well the fabric has stood up. The chair may very well be from the 50s/60s. Here's a few more photos which hopefully help.

There are phillips screws used in each of the braces but they look newer than the long staples which are also in the braces.

Two of the photos show a nail head which appears to be oval, maybe. Certainly not circular.

One of the photos shows where one bit of wood joins with the leg. You can slightly see between the two and make out what looks like a rectangular or oval tenon or dowel.

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can you look inside and see the springs? I think I see an impression of a zig-zag or sinuous spring in the decking cover. If so, this would be 50s or later. Earlier pieces would have coil springs. Coil springs would not definitively date it earlier, as better quality pieces still used them after the 50s. Otherwise, I am thinking this is not an antique. Those phillips screws appear to be original. I think the staples are for the dust cover.

Draft saved Draft deleted