Interesting bottle opener

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, Jan 21, 2015.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Picked up this little 3 1/2" bottle opener at the thrift. It is marked with what looks like a fancy R with a crown over it. The opener part is chrome plated steel. The handle is tarnished a bit and non-magnetic. It is marked what looks to be N. M. 2505. The motif seems to be tribal or maybe even Asian. Any ideas about this? I have been able to find nothing about the marks.

stuff1044.jpg

stuff1044a.jpg

stuff1044b.jpg

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Looks Aztec to me

I wanna think the NM is Norsk Monster

3. verybrad

Hmmm....... Didn't know what you were talking about so looked up Norsk Monster (Norske Monstre). This very well could be. What I interpreted as 2505 could just as well be 950S which would be a silver purity mark. The last digit definitely looks different than the 5 at the second digit.

I thought the design also looked a bit Scandinavian/Viking. I think I have some more research to do.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Brad,
    Strange at first glance I am getting the 70s Spanish motif. Looks like some hinges I've seen on mens jewelry boxes. Let me get some coffee and come back.
    greg

5. verybrad

Have spent a fair amount of time trying to find a maker that matches and/or similar motifs in design. I am coming up blank. This may just be one of those things I hang on to for awhile and just use. I have no illusions that it is terribly valuable or anything like that. It just has an interesting design and feel to it.

6. terry5732

Would be nice to see a little clearer pics

7. verybrad

Terry,

These pics are the best I can do with my camera. The maker's mark is not clear to begin with since it is stamped into grainy iron and plated over. The pic of the other mark is a pretty good representation of what it looks like. I might be able to get a better overall pic of the item but my sharper focus attempts all had a lot more glare that the one I presented. Overall, I took about 20 pics and these were the best of the bunch.

I appreciate the willingness to assist but think that better pics won't help all that much. I am about to put this behind me at this point unless someone comes along that just knows. It is not really worth the effort of a prolonged search.

8. terry5732

I enjoy fishing whether I catch fish or not

komokwa likes this.
  9. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

That punch mark appears to be: crown over a monogram FR(?). Probably for: Fridericus Rex ???. Not sure, hard to tell from the image.

10. terry5732

Many of the two headed Austrian birds look poorly done but this might take the prize for worst rendition

11. verybrad

There might be an F in there but now I am not sure that it is even an R. Might actually be a B. OK ..... took 50+ pics trying to get a better shot of the mark. It is actually marked twice but one is less legible than the other. The third pic is this less legible mark taken through a drop of water to magnify it.

stuff1044d.jpg

stuff1044e.jpg

stuff1044c.jpg

12. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Monogram JB(?) = Jennings Brothers ???

Draft saved Draft deleted