Insular Line creamer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by David Askett, Sep 24, 2024 at 6:02 PM.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

This little creamer has been thumbing its nose at my research efforts. I can’t find anything about the “Insular Line”, which I’m guessing was a steamship line, and efforts to research the swallowtail P house flag seen on the creamer have also led nowhere. Kniffin & Demarest were, I understand, pottery retailers out of New York. They seem to have sold a lot of Buffalo Pottery, who I suspect may have made this piece, but I can’t be sure. Maybe the pattern number 3833 embossed on the bottom of the creamer might be a clue? Anyway, if anyone can tell me anything about this creamer, or the Insular Line, I’d be thrilled!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Baltimore Insular Line and Bull Insular were subsidiary of A. H. Bull & Company. A. H. Bull purchased the Insular Line in 1914 and renamed it the Baltimore Insular Line. The Insular Line was founded in 1904 with both freight and passenger service. Insular Line was operating with the ship, SS Elizabeth, from A. H. Bull old company. The line was also called the Bull Insular Line with service between Baltimore, New York City and San Juan, Puerto Rico. Baltimore Insular Line was Bull Lines passenger operation, with homeport at Baltimore Pier 5 with service to St. Thomas and San Juan. Bull Insular Line operated the ships: Carolyn, Delfina, Delisle, Governor John Lind, Major Wheeler and Marina (1). Only the Marina (1), Carolyn and Governor John Lind survived World War II, the three others were sunk by U-Boats. During World War II Pier 5 was damaged by German torpedoes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._H._Bull_Steamship_Company

David Askett likes this.
  3. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

Thank you! 1904-1914 seems about right for the date of this creamer, so I expect this is the correct Insular Line.

daveydempsey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted