Featured Inlaid Stone and Brass Box - Any thoughts

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Oct 31, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I was so excited to share this find with you and get your thoughts on it. I found a similar example except that one had a design in brass in the middle. Vintage Malachite and Brass Los Castillos Trinket/Cigar Box with Fish – Candlewood Trading Company Other examples also have brass and other metal designs.

The box is thin and heavy at 8 1/4" long; 3 3/4"wide and 3/4" tall with a brass lid and wood bottom (rosewood according to the other link) inside. It weighs over 1 1/2 pounds. What do you all think the stones are? Malachite? Sodalite? Lapus? The case is clearly brass. Other examples are stamped with the Los Castillo stamp. This one has nothing that I can see. Thoughts on age?

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_4002 (1).JPG IMG_4003 (1).JPG IMG_4004 (1).JPG IMG_4005.JPG IMG_4005 (1).JPG IMG_4010 (1).JPG IMG_4008.JPG IMG_4009 (1).JPG IMG_4011.JPG

pearlsnblume, Any Jewelry and stracci like this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Looks late 40's -60's to me. Lovely MCM vibe, the examples at Candlewood Trading Co. are fine.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. That is very helpful.

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like Mexican Azurite Malachite, example... https://yourgreatfinds.net/products/los-ballesteros-metales-azurite-malachite-mosaic-pin

5. KikoBlueEyes

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice box with nice stones, kiko. I still saw these in the 1970s in Mexican shops, but I agree, Modernist.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent. Thank you. That's what all the ads for the brass figural embellished ones say. I'm thinking early before that became a thing?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think decorated and undecorated simultaneously, so people have a choice either way.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Gotcha. Thank you.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted