Inherited Marble Library Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by LittleLACollector, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Hi! Any help with identifying the Maker, age and any other info would be great. The story goes that it was brought back from Germany by an American serviceman in WW2.
    Dimensions are: 54" long x 24" deep x 24" tall.
    Extremely heavy, marble is at least 1/2" thick.
    Attached are pics of all markings/labels.
    Marble Table Front.jpg Marble Table Top.jpg Marble Table Label.jpg Marble Table PaperLabel.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

All I know is that is the German Golden M Furniture Quality mark. So most likely German made.
    It is very nice.
    Mikey

judy likes this.
  3. thank you.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree. "Deutsche Mobel" actually means "German Furniture." According to the company, quality mark didn't become widely used until 1952. But as piece is from Bitburg which is close to a U.S. air base (that opened in 1952,) provenance not unlikely although post-World War II.

Debora

5. Interesting, I found on the RAL website that "Gutezeichen Ral" has been used since 1925 on furniture. I had a friend who does some appraising tell me it was made in 1929 based on (I'm guessing) the 3/29 on the paper label. But she did not know anything else, and that was long ago. I believe the info about the serviceman is accurate since my father in law purchased the table from his widow in the late 60's or early 70's, he was evidently a Colonel involved in the air raid in Bitburg at the end of 1944. This was not bought new by the serviceman, it was taken from a bombed out German bunker, so the story goes. I just wanted to know a little more about the piece itself. I have already gotten more info from your translation, and the Golden M explanation. Thank you! I am so happy I found this site! Do you think the Maker logo is the bird/K/star design?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I.E., if a guy stationed in Germany (and his wife, since this isn't something a guy on his own would buy) brought this back it wouldn't surprise anyone. That said, WWII GIs didn't have to pay postage home, or at least got a steep discount, and sent home anything and everything. The table wouldn't have fit in a readily available shipping crate (an old ammo box as often as not).

LittleLACollector likes this.
  7. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

I would be very surprised if it was pre-war. This table being taken form a bombed out bunker, seems rather hard to believe. The weight of the marble would be forbidding, and the wood is inconsistent with what you'd expect to see in older pieces. The design and construction of the plaques looks modern. And...wait... is this one of those teaser posts?

komokwa and Fid like this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

komokwa, LittleLACollector and Fid like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

LittleLACollector likes this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    Möbelhalle means a big hall with secondhand stuff.
    forget that story about wartime - everybody was a hero...
    the US Air Base was huge, built by the French (!!!) in 1951 and also used by NATO.
    the barracks - or housing - also for families accomodated 12000 at a time.
    given to the Germans in 1994 and made a regional civil airport in 1997.

LittleLACollector and komokwa like this.
  11. Interesting, I am going to do more research now that I have the makers name. My husband was a teenager (he's now 65) when this was bought, I'm beginning to doubt the story that was given my father in law though.....

12. Thanks for the info, I don't know what a teaser post is sorry.
    Going to research more directly with the company now that I have the maker.

Draft saved Draft deleted