Featured INFO, VALUE ON ANTIQUE MINIATURE TORAHS & MINIATURE BIBLES?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Apr 10, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

These have been sitting in a glass case at a local thrift store for over a month. They had ridiculous prices on them (from $299 to $799). I happen to see the manager by the case as I passed & I mentioned to him about the prices & he said he knew they were over priced; it was what the people who donated them said they were worth, and did I want to make an offer?
    I told him I'd give him $100 for the 4 and he said "Deal!" we need the case space!

After paying I realized that 2 are Torahs? (Jewish bibles) & 1 a bible with hebrew & english?
    And 1 a reg. bible.
    Are any of these rare or worth anything like what the donors said?
    Are they worth the $100 I paid? (looking on eBay most miniature bibles were around $25 - $35 - but some were several $100.
    Finally, what makes it a miniature book - is it a size limit?
    As always I thank you & appreciate any help!

COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS A GROUP 1AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS FELT COVERED TORAH 1AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS FELT COVERED TORAH 4AA RESIZED.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS MINIATURE METAL COVER TORAH 1AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS MINIATURE METAL COVER TORAH 3AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS MINIATURE METAL COVER TORAH 4AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS BIBLE BIG RED LEATHER COVER 2A_AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS BIBLE BIG RED LEATHER COVER 2A_A.jpg COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS BIBLE BIG RED LEATHER COVER 3AA.jpg

2. journeymagazine

Rest of 1 bible & pics of 2nd & final one.
    Thanks again!

COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS BIBLE BIG RED LEATHER COVER 4AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS BIBLE BIG RED LEATHER COVER 4AAA.jpg COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS BIBLE METAL COVER 1AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS BIBLE METAL COVER 2AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS BIBLE METAL COVER 3AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS BIBLE METAL COVER 4AA.jpg COLLECTIBLE BOOK BIBLES & TORAHS BIBLE METAL COVER 4AAA.jpg

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My gut feel is that the 1903 velvet one has the most worth - that's the 5663. It's emblematic of the sizeable Jewish population of Vienna before the holocaust and the plaque looks silver.

4. journeymagazine

Can't find a date on the first one (torah with velvet covers) - can anyone read hebrew (does it say when it's from?)
    And again - thanks!

5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Go see if you can get your money back! If the guy said he knew they were overpriced he must have some knowledge in antiques.

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That 5663 is the date - it's 1903.

7. journeymagazine

Thanks ownedbybear - I must have been writing about the date while you were posting & I didn't see it. :)

rink28 - I asked the thrift store manager if he was open to an offer & I made the offer - I believe they are worth at least the $25 each - and now really want to learn more about the velvet hardcover torah - it was also the one the donaters put a $799 value on.

cxgirl, Ghopper1924, judy and 3 others like this.
  8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

They are cool looking better looking than the ones I came across on ebay. I just don't know a whole lot about these unfortunately. Im still trying to find some info on the velvet.

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I do too INH ... Joy. :)

11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

12. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

What are the measurements of the smallest book?

cxgirl, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  13. journeymagazine

14. i need help

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4 a second there.......sigh,. this is a miniature Torah !

upload_2019-4-10_23-11-24.jpeg

the other ones are a Siddur.....& a Machsor.....as printed.
    these were personalized and given to young men for Bar Mitzva's...& older men for weddings.

16. Wolfgang Rolf

Wolfgang Rolf Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

They are worth what you paid for them.

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  17. chantaljones

chantaljones Well-Known Member

This is a very good website to research old books. Type it the title and than the year in the keyword. Will work for every book. Also good for antique bookds 16th century they onwards

http://used.addall.com

18. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I agree. And her story has some interesting bits that might attract certain buyers. Still researching, but will report more later.

And to everyone reading, yes I know I'm weirdly obsessive with this sort of research, but I love it and I'm afraid I can't stop even when it's off-putting (or no one else cares about the info). :hilarious:

19. i need help

I am interested in what you find out. The ancestry connection always adds an interesting factor to an object to me. Thank you for looking into it. :)

20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I keep wishing the 1870 Bible had been printed in Minyan 18mo instead of Minion 18mo.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted