info on skeleton keys? (many)

Discussion in 'Tools' started by hokeypix, Dec 24, 2014.

1. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

An estate find of skeleton keys, ranging from 3.5" - 8". They look very old, but would like to know more about them. Are particular ones more valuable than others? How does one tell? Do some have "names"? Thanks for any info!

IMG_1774 copy.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi hokeypix, welcome to the forum! I'm with you I'd like to know more about keys and probably someone here will know. In the meantime, have you looked at this site, I think it's in the UK? Do any of your keys have any makers marks etc?

http://www.historyoflocks.com/key001.html

3. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately none of of my keys are marked, so I'm not quite sure how to identify/value them.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Your keys are also called bit keys. I have hundreds of them. None of them are valuable, I have them to use as replacements. Lots of them fit all kinds of locks. Bev (Thelmasstuff) will be around soon, her husband is a locksmith and should be able to tell you more. I use them as decoration also. I strung 75 of them to cover a side window as a "curtain". I have them dangling from lamp chains to.
    greg

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

Thank you, all. Most of them are 4 - 6 inches, and seem like they'd open doors to rooms in an old castle. :) I can put them in a B&M shop, but would love to know which ones should perhaps be pulled out to put up on ebay or priced higher. I look forward to more input - thank you!

Also, some seem hand-forged -- would love input on that (i.e. which ones). Thanks.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

People do buy those as decoration. Some of them would even make good Christmas ornaments.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I like the photo.

hokeypix likes this.
  9. Steersman

Steersman Well-Known Member

The larger ones might well be gate keys, for the swinging gates found on wrought iron fences.

Easiest way to sell (online, anyway) would be in two lots, dividing them by size. I've had fair results selling them that way.

Good Luck, Skip

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The one ones bringing big bucks have fancy bales and hand forged ones. All the ones in your photo are not rare or valuable. As a single lot or two you may make some money. I know over the years that I have been buying and selling these keys, I have perhaps 8 dollars invested and perhaps 30 dollars of sales, most of mine have gone to people who needed replacement keys and did not want to spend 20 bucks to have one cut to fit. It is amazing how many will work in a lock even if they do not look like an original. The keys to "castle doors" are usually 12" and longer. Keys to doors in old houses are usually 4" to 6". Drawer locks and cabinet locks are usually shorter.
    greg

11. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

Thanks everyone for weighing in with your expertise. If I were to put them in a B&M shop, what price ranges would you suggest for them? 4-5" - $5? 6-7" - $10? 8" - $15? Is that close? Are there any I ought to put aside to sell on ebay? I thought some of them looked hand-forged, was I mistaken?

12. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

p.s. I can post some group close-ups as I realize it's hard to see the details in the photo above. Aye or nay?

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My husband buys these at yard sales and flea markets. Many people in our area have antique homes and like to keep the antique hardware. He "impressions" them by wiggling them in the lock to see where small marks show the wards are so he can file the keys to fit. He'd find a key that would go into the lock and then impression it and file until it worked the lock. He gets about $10 each for finished keys. Hope that helps. For a bunch like this - keeping in mind a few of them have the bits broken off and aren't really useful - he'd offer $25-$30.

desperate_fun and gregsglass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted