Info on silver vase?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by JennyD18, Apr 1, 2018.

1. JennyD18

JennyD18 Member

rsz_handle.jpg rsz_front.jpg rsz_pitcher_side.jpg rsz_pitcher_side.jpg rsz_pitcher_side_2.jpg rsz_pitcher_bottom.jpg Hi everyone, my Gram received this vase at her wedding shower in New York in 1948. She says the girls pooled their money together to buy it for her. :) I was just assuming that it was silver. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

I don’t see any identifying markings on it. It’s about 5.5 inches tall and 463 g.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Kindly go back to your post and hit Full size for all photos. I would also include photo of the bottom and any markings.

If you cannot edit photos, repost them, always choose full size.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

neat !!!
    but ya gotta help us , help you !!!

size
    base
    markings

we're good......but we ain't that good !!!!

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Seconded. People on phones can't see the thumbnails, and with no marks there's nothing to research.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Just going by what I can see, I doubt it's made of silver. But I can't be sure until I see more.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Looks like a pitcher to me, not a vase.

7. Huntingtreasure

1F356ADC-084F-4FB2-9EAD-2AA639321FD5.jpeg C1BA6FB6-18AB-472A-8D4B-00F1240CA63E.jpeg

The second picture seems to have this Persian king killing the beast, near the top. So maybe the scene is Persian. Don’t know what it may be made of.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

good hunting..Hunting !!!!

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

10. JennyD18

JennyD18 Member

You all are amazing! I uploaded new pictures--sorry, I didn't realize that I posted them tiny the first time. Thank you for your help!!

Christmasjoy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  11. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

If that was a solid silver pitcher or jug, I bet you it'd be bloody expensive. But as I don't see any hallmarks or resemblance to silver, I'd say it's more likely to be something else. Perhaps pewter?

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That was a rather chic gift. Your grandmother must have had style.

Debora

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it's as old as it looks, it might be worth testing anyway. A lot of old pieces weren't marked. I'm betting Grandma wasn't the shy and retiring type.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and JennyD18 like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The word at the time would have been "bohemian."

Debora

15. JennyD18

JennyD18 Member

She's a social butterfly!

16. JennyD18

JennyD18 Member

Style and wonderful friends. :)

17. JennyD18

JennyD18 Member

I have no idea; I was just guessing that it was silver. It was pretty tarnished before and it seems to shine up like silver, not the pewter that I've seen. She did say that it was a really expensive gift and the girls had all pooled their money to buy it for her.

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't know why it wouldn't be silver. Wasn't so terribly expensive in the post-war years. Even middle class brides routinely received sterling trays, candlesticks, flatware, etc.

Debora

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Some of the figures that I can see seem to be holding knives or a stick and looking like they are going to strike or beat an animal......the one that I've circled....the man with the stick is stepping on the dog's tail, and the person that the dog has turned to looks like he is trying to protect the dog.....it sort of looks like some sort of "Exodus".........there is a little "something" on the bottom, but not clear enough to see if it's any kind of a mark. Would really like to look carefully at ALL sides of this pitcher.....it's fascinating me!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    BTW, would the images in the pitcher have any indication/reference to your Grandmother's nationality?? Or where she was married?? Just looking for clues here!!! Thanks!!

BTW AGAIN, pardon my manners!!! WELCOME to the boards, Jenny!!!!!

zWedding Pitcher.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Christmasjoy, kyratango and JennyD18 like this.
  20. Huntingtreasure

A40A1703-6422-4607-AC9B-F42792F50DF9.jpeg
    I found several of these images including little birds, under Parsee vase/pitcher. But I defer to others, just going by looks.
    And of course, could be made anywhere just using these scenes.
    Just also, it’s good to check handles ( including inside handle) for marks.

Draft saved Draft deleted