Inexpensive way to display small Navajo weavings

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by research, Oct 5, 2023.

1. research

research Member

I have two small Navajo (I believe, will be posting them soon for opinions) that I would like to display. They are roughly 20x30". I mainly just care about having them protected and able to be viewed on the wall.

I have seen people suggest velcro or tack strips but these seem like they would significantly damage or remove material when removed from the wall.

It seems like a basic 24x36 thin poster frame (either glass or plexiglass) would work as a pressure mount, using an acid free backing paper/material.

Something like this

Since these frames are not really air tight I wouldn't think moisture would be an issue if displayed in a humidity controlled environment. Is there something I am missing that makes this a bad idea?

Thanks!

Potteryplease likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

just how old and how expensive are they..?

3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
    Houseful, sabre123, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I'd agree not to enclose them, unless as you say they are for sure in a 'humidity controlled environment.' That's hard to create btw.

I'll also agree that the specifics of the actual textiles matter: if they're heavy / dense, then there's more weight, which affects the options for displaying them.

And whatever you do, do not put them in direct, long-time exposure to sunlight. That'll fade them for sure.

5. komokwa

I concur with both my esteemed colleagues .......!!

Potteryplease and bluumz like this.
  6. research

research Member

Thanks for the responses! They were inexpensive to me, but I do not know the real value at this point. I'm really adverse to sewing something to them.

For some reason it just feels wrong to put a needle through these pieces. I guess that's why I was hoping there was an option like a pressure mount that would be less intrusive.

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

There has been another discussion recently about mounting a flag that may be informative -

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/safe-method-for-mounting-vintage-flag.79970/#post-9505092

In general, textile conservators favor mounting methods that rely on stitching, if the textile is in good enough condition. If done correctly, it tends to be the safest option. The key is carefully distributing the weight, and placing stitches between the threads of the original textile.

A common technique is using velcro. The soft fuzzy side of velcro is first sewn (by machine) to a sturdy strip of washed cotton muslin, leaving wide borders above and below the band of velcro. This is then hand sewn near the top of the textile to be mounted, using a zig-zag stitch that helps distribute the stress between several warp and wefts. Here is a little sampler I once made to demonstrate the method, showing the process from the plain muslin band on the right, to the machine sewn velcro, to the zig-zag handstitching on the left -

velcro mount sampler - smaller.jpg

The matching hook velcro is stapled to a board which is mounted on the wall, and the two carefully pressed together, as demonstrated below -

upload_2023-10-6_14-11-53.png
    https://museum.gwu.edu/displaying-textiles

To remove the textile from the mount, you should use a tool like a spatula to work the velcro loose, rather than pulling on the textile.

When hanging a textile, it is important to orient it so that the warp, (the threads that were stretched on the loom and are generally stronger than the weft), is vertical (perpendicular to the horizontal velcro strip).

8. research

research Member

Thank you! Very informative.
    I'm still so torn on sewing into a vintage, fragile piece.
    In your zig zag example, how can you know you are sewing in between the threads?

Is there a pressure mount or other method that does not involve stitching that you might recommend or is stitching the only real way?

9. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

If possible, let us see the weavings.

We'll be able to offer better feedback knowing what you have.

komokwa likes this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

11. komokwa

They're not that fragile , they're not that heavy and they're not that expensive...

they should though, display nicely ..

research, 2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. research

research Member

Draft saved Draft deleted