Featured Indonesian Cabinet: Recent Reproduction? Old-ish?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Webmonk, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Webmonk

Webmonk New Member

We have had this cabinet for many years and are getting ready to sell it. I have a few questions I'd love some help with.

What would this style of cabinet be called?

The only thing found on it as far as marks or identification is a label that states "made in Indonesia". I'm willing to bet that this is a reproduction, but I'm thinking it still might have some age. Just unsure. The nails have square (or rectangular) heads, the screws are the older single slot style. The drawers are not a simple box joint, so it doesn't seem to be a cheap build.

Thanks

20220804_122450.jpg
    20220804_122919.jpg
    20220804_133025.jpg
    20220804_133043.jpg
    20220804_124901.jpg

2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

It is a dresser.
    In France we call these "buffet Saint Hubert".

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

We don't call this a dresser in the US (where webmonk lives.) Buffet or sideboard is more likely here.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

More new-ish than old-ish. Think they started importing this stuff in the 80’s or 90’s, so not older than that.

kyratango likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

On close-up, it's kind of looking like the stain-graining has been added, but when my eyes get tired, they tend to not focus the best!! Would make a nice little bar!!​

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I third "newish" but would like to add its a very pretty and useful piece. Looks to be well made too.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Webmonk

Webmonk New Member

Thank you all for your thoughts. I appreciate it. People who post to forums frequently don't realize the genuine help it is when people take the time out of their days to provide a reply. :)

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with the others, not very old, but very decorative.
    It is called Dutch Colonial.
    Indonesia used to be a Dutch colony, and from the 17th century onward Dutch style furniture was made by Asian craftspeople. They used local woods to copy Dutch designs, and sometimes added local ornamentation and local combinations of different coloured woods.
    In the early days the furniture makers were brought in from the Dutch colonies in India and Sri Lanka, later Javanese and other Indonesian craftspeople joined them.

This is reproduction in the sense that it is not a modern style and recently made, but furniture manufacturers in Indonesia have been making Dutch Colonial furniture for about 400 yrs.

As Jeff remarked, there has been an increased demand for Dutch Colonial since the late 20th century, so there is also an increased production. Because of that the quality of recent furniture varies, but it is often good.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    J Dagger and say_it_slowly like this.
  9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In Dutch, the language of the original commissioners of Dutch Colonial furniture, it would be called a 'Willem III bonheur'. King Willem III ruled from 1849-1890.
    But I am fine with 'Dutch Colonial buffet'.:)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted