Indiana Desk Co MCM Desk...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DivasFinds, Aug 23, 2021.

1. DivasFinds

DivasFinds Well-Known Member

Hey all....it's been a minute but I'm back w a cool find. Got this mid century desk , mid 1960s I believe. Trying to figure out a couple things....wood (walnut is my guess, and thinking NO veneer because this thing is HEAVY). 2ND value....I see these all over the place online....$50-$750. Has some marks and wear, cool original brass feet and handles, and sticky drawers (anyone have a good suggestion or home remedy for UNsticking the drawers?!!) TIA you're always a wealth of information!

20210823_184224_copy_756x756_1_copy_189x189.jpg 20210823_184126_copy_756x756.jpg 20210823_184026_copy_756x756.jpg 20210823_184035_copy_756x756.jpg 20210823_184135_copy_756x756.jpg 20210823_184203_copy_756x756.jpg 20210823_184215_copy_756x756.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i run a little vaseline along the rails..

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You know, this desk might well have been made near the middle of the 1900s, but it doesn't have any design or construction elements that come to mind when viewing Mid-Century Modern furniture. So I would be loath to call it MCM in your listing, assuming you want to sell it. Nice desk, lovely color to the wood, looks well constructed. But I fear that a buyer who wants MCM design isn't going to be looking for this desk.

judy and DivasFinds like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Just curious if the "1988" on the locking mechanism could be a date?

judy likes this.
  5. wiscbirddog

Sticky drawers - try working some bar soap into the area. Or has high humidity caused them to stick? Might have to wait for drier weather.

The spindly wee legs say 70s to me.

judy likes this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I thought it was 1968 when I first looked, but the 6 could easily be 8. Not that we even know it's a date.

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Chicago Lock Co makes a desk drawer lock "C1968" Amazon sells them, lol:

[​IMG]

judy and komokwa like this.
  8. wiscbirddog

So much for my 'date' idea. :)

judy, komokwa and sabre123 like this.
  9. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Looks like 1960s vintage and walnut to me. Almost all MCM furniture is veneered , including a lot of very high quality and expensive Danish pieces. And veneered furniture can be as heavy or heavier than solid wood. The large, heavy double pedestal desks are more difficult to sell and can be found for pretty low prices in Texas.

10. DivasFinds

Obviously, and it's 1968

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. DivasFinds

So the lock definitely says 1968. Another interesting note is that somebody wrote on the bottom of one of the drawers but they wrote that they purchased the desk in 1963, I believe. I will try to get a picture of that.

How does one tell veneer? Does anyone else agree this is midcentury modern or no? Another notable fact is I'm in the Seattle area so there is much desirability for these type of items if it is indeed MCM

judy likes this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Top and sides are certainly veneer. Note the repeating grain and solid edging. Can't speak to the rest based on these pics. I have no problem calling this MCM but it lacks desirable qualities for the genre.

13. mark737

1963 seems like an accurate date based on the design. You can usually tell veneer by looking closely at the edges. I'd say there is a 99.5% chance this desk is not solid walnut, but again there is nothing wrong with furniture made with quality veneers. You are fortunate to be in a high-dollar market like Seattle; it looks like there are a few desks like yours on CL for $600-$1400, of course those are asking prices. I'd be lucky to get $200 here in Central Texas, and I've seen some similar ones listed for free, though not in great condition like yours.

sabre123 and Aquitaine like this.
  14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, not MCM in design.

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

16. mark737

I think it would qualify as MCM, but agree with Brad and Bakersgma that it doesn't have the style of MCM pieces that sell for high prices.

Here's an example of what I see a lot in Texas. A similar desk, probably mid to late 60s for $85, and it was posted 25 days ago, though the top is laminate. On a side note, I think a lot of people confuse veneer with laminate. Veneer is real wood cut into thin sheets and glued on the large surfaces like tops, sides and drawer fronts. Laminates, such as Formica, are plastics made to look like wood and are much less desirable/valuable.

CLdesk.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    James Conrad likes this.
  17. DivasFinds

Thanks everyone for your valuable insight!

18. CJ Goeppinger

CJ Goeppinger New Member

Hi I was wondering if you had any luck on finding out any more information on the desk? I picked up one about a few weeks ago and it's nearly identical. Lucky to find this post. The only difference is on mine there is no trim along the bottom of sides and back of the desk. Along with different handles. But it has the same lock and color and indiana desk tag. Hope to hear back!

DivasFinds likes this.
  19. DivasFinds

Hey there! Well, I did not find out any additional information on it, although I do believe it was wood veneer, as Brad mentioned. I did sell the desk (it's been quite a while ago now, so thanks for this little "blast from the past"! LOL.....and I sold it for $500. Not bad for a...ahem...free desk. I'm in the Seattle area, so i'm in a pretty good spot for MCM resale. Hope this is somewhat helpful!

D.

20. CJ Goeppinger

CJ Goeppinger New Member

Also could you post a picture of the key I'm trying to find a replacement one! Thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted