Indian Basket w Handles - would love to find out about it.

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by kaudet, Aug 19, 2018.

1. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

Wondering what tribe might have made this Indian basket - where they were located, date made. What type of material used? What was it used for? Do the dark colored designs have special meaning or a name. Any info is much appreciated. KA august 19 2018 011.JPG august 19 2018 012.JPG august 19 2018 013.JPG august 19 2018 014.JPG

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Made by a Tohono O'odham (Papago) weaver, in Arizona. Looks fairly recent (within the last 50 - 75 years), and made for sale. They use beargrass as the foundation of the coil, stitching with yucca leaf, and devil's claw for the black design.

[​IMG]

(from etsy)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    judy, Any Jewelry, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i can only add I think it's newer than that.....

judy, Any Jewelry, cxgirl and 7 others like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Yes, I was being generous. They have been making the same kinds of thing since the 1930's. :)

5. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the info. My specialty is glass and pottery so was at a loss on this one. So glad you are willing to share your knowledge.

Christmasjoy, all_fakes, judy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted