Indentify Sofa--antique?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by JMK, Mar 5, 2022.

1. JMK

JMK New Member

Back.jpeg IMG_9098.jpeg IMG_9099 (1).jpeg IMG_9100 (1).jpeg IMG_9101 (1).jpeg Hello,
    I'm new to the forum and maybe a sofa like this (in better shape) is already here identified. I inherited this from my grandparents, who possibly had this in their antique shop, which closed in the 60's. I know it's in bad shape, but the frame is ok (we have cats and kids). It's been through a lot.
    Can anyone identify it? or the possible date? Thank you. The underneath is in a shambles so I didn't look for a name.....It's 78" wide.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2022
    judy and Born2it like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I would think 50s/60s. No idea whodunnit; that's either under what's left of the cushion or under the seat. If it's anywhere. Definitely worth reupholstering now that the cats have given their opinion of the original.

Fern77, judy, Born2it and 2 others like this.
  3. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

I'd have to see better pictures, but it might as well be Victorian/Edwardian. Great looking and probably worth reupholstering even if mid century revival.

Msalicia, judy, Born2it and 1 other person like this.
  4. JMK

JMK New Member

Thank you, I think you're on to something here. I'm not sure where to find a label, but if you let me know what kind of photo would help I can post that. (btw I know my grandparents had it re-upholstered once when I was a kid.)

Born2it likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Very attractive lines. The upholstery looks 1960s.

Debora

Fern77 and Born2it like this.
  6. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! I could be wrong, and I suppose it could be a reproduction (I found a similar one that is a reproduction, but it isn’t exactly like this) but I would bet on older than the sixties.

If you can’t lift it, try putting a light under it, put your cell phone on selfie mode, hold it underneath and try to get some pictures.

JMK and judy like this.
  7. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

The style is Regency, but I don't think it is that old. The inlaid satinwood is, to me, a mark of an earlier revival than mid century.
    You most likely will find no labels or anything like that. The construction is what tale-tells will lie (eg if you see screws, the thing is probably rather new). I kind of agree with the cats in that the fabric was not best suited for it. I am a fan of velour, but silk is probably your go-to option for a classic look.

8. JMK

JMK New Member

9. JMK

JMK New Member

I have a photo of underneath. There's no way to know when the metal bars were added--probably for support.

Attached Files:

10. JMK

JMK New Member

Let me try this again--here is a photo from underneath. I have no idea when the metal bars were added--probably for help in support.

Attached Files:

11. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

I think the cushion is down or feathers. I think it’s older than newer. It has beautiful detail although simple. There are some here that will offer more help. It was a very nice fabric and upholstery job. The underside looks old to me. I like it.

JMK likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted