Incense Holder?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Desertau, Jun 28, 2024 at 4:38 AM.

1. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

This is something a little perplexing in that it’s a great looking decorative piece, but the one roadshow I made the effort to lug this heavy chunk of metal too it seemed to garner little interest and I don’t recall if they gave an estimate of value.

what I did learn I don’t know how accurate but seemed reasonable I guess, they said Japanese, incense holder probably used in a hall of some sort, there would have been 4 one in each corner and that the side rings were missing.

so, I have a very heavy flower pot. Is the anything about this that might change my opinion on the desirability or is this a fairly common item, nothing special? IMG_2024-06-28-001614.jpeg IMG_2024-06-28-001717.jpeg IMG_2024-06-28-001752.jpeg IMG_2024-06-28-001930.jpeg

komokwa, mmarco102 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't know about 4 of them, but it could be right. I certainly agree with the rest of the info. And it is a beauty.:)

Am I right in thinking that you put the plant straight into the censer? No pot and saucer?:nailbiting: That will result in corrosion and verdigris. Not good for the plant, and certainly not good for the censer.:(

Desertau and mmarco102 like this.
  3. Desertau

ya, you are right, the planter as it is seems to handle the abuse without issue, the plant stand is probably more at risk and something i need to address with a saucer of some sort, the construction of the vessel there is a large circular hole, the brass is likely (lm guessing) 3/4” thick and a much older looking bronze disk with symbols we can’t read was soldered that hole on the inside in 3 places, although now unattached but held in place fitting a small recess that hold it in place.

after posting i did some image surfing, this I’m not used to do so it’s usually an afterthought. The item could also be a Hibachi Burner I guess something I never knew existed? I do have a Hibachi but doubt it would fit the one I have. IMG_2024-06-28-093028.jpeg

4. Desertau

The image surfing produced a hit and image similar to both the plant stand and a much nicer example of a Burner if that I’d what it is. The burner examples all had side ornaments but no rings hanging from them. IMG_2024-06-28-093442.png IMG_2024-06-28-093401.png IMG_2024-06-28-093324.png