impressed chinese mark any idea who made this?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Feb 26, 2023.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

She radiates serenity...very lovely!

bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. wlwhittier

380566E2-4E53-42AF-9526-27F7E9CEBCD9_1_201_a.jpeg

There...that oughta help.

bercrystal, KikoBlueEyes and MKLH like this.
  4. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Google translates the middle line as Sheng Longyou
    The translation on the bottom as "town view" which doesn't make sense at all.
    Mikey

KikoBlueEyes and MKLH like this.
  5. MKLH

MKLH Be the change...

In Mandarin this translates as ;Travel Jiangxi Youlong Shengjing Town - indicating it is sold to tourists travelling through the Jiangxi province.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Guanyin, and he is beautiful. Not sure if the dirt is natural, but who cares. If you buy it, do it for its beauty.

7. wlwhittier

After AJ put a name, anna gender, on this lovely piece, I gotta drop the 'S', above. So He does continue to radiate serenity...an' desirability! A very sweet piece of porcelain.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Age's a mystery-but she is quite beautiful.How tall is she ?

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Anna Gender? What nationality is the name?;)

bercrystal and BoudiccaJones like this.
  10. wlwhittier

My bad...and a gender. She said he, but I had said she.

I hope I haven't added unnecessary confusion, Bakers.

bercrystal likes this.
  11. MKLH

MKLH Be the change...

Actually both are right - this deity can be either gender- Originally depicted as a male or gender-neutral entity able to take on thirty-three manifestations, Guanyin is seen a compassionate saviour who hears the woes of humankind, regardless of age, gender, or social class. However, in imperial China, Guanyin became increasingly cemented as a female figure.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    Any Jewelry, wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
  12. wlwhittier

Wow...a wee vindication! I had for years carried an image of Guanyin as female...but in the face of gender-assignment by a well-respected expert 'twas simple for me to yield my long-held bias.
    Thank you sincerely, MKLH, for your pleasant illumination!

MKLH likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Guanyin is originally Avalokiteshvara, the Bodhisattva or Buddha aspect of compassion, but in China he became associated with a pre-Buddhist female deity of compassion.
    Guanyin is depicted with a flat, and often bare chest, an indication of the male origin.
    But I agree, he has come to be regarded as androgynous, and even as female by people who are closer to folk tradition than to Buddhism.
    Androgyny is not uncommon in Asian tradition and religious imagery, btw.

14. MKLH

MKLH Be the change...

Correct :) It is generally agreed among Chinese Buddhists and scholars of Buddhist studies that the Chinese figure Guanyin is the same as the figure known in India ( and Thailand - Malaysia ) as Bodhisattva / Avalokitesvara. Buddhism began in India and spread to China over the Silk Roads trade routes. Another reason for the tendency towards a feminine representation of Avalokitesvara in China has to do with the fact that the Chinese often prayed to Guanyin for children, especially sons. This sometimes worked, and statues of Guanyin in certain temples would become known for their ability to bestow sons—such as an ivory statue at The Metropolitan Museum of Art that represents Guanyin as the “Bestower of Sons.”
    The 'Goddesses' name Guan Yin is also spelt Guan Yim, Kuan Yim, Kwan Im, or Kuan Yin, is a short form for Kuan-shi Yin, meaning "Observing the Sounds (or Cries) of the (human) World".
    Highly respected in Asian cultures, Guan Yim bears different names as follows:
    Hong Kong: Kwun Yum
    Japan: Kannon or more formally Kanzeon; the spelling Kwannon, based on a pre-modern pronunciation, is sometimes seen
    Korea: Gwan-eum or Gwanse-eum
    Thailand: Kuan Eim (กวนอิม) or Prah Mae Kuan Eim
    Vietnam: Quan Âm. It is generally accepted that Guan Yin originated as the Sanskrit Avalokitesvara, which is her male form, since all representations of Bodhisattva were masculine.
    Later images might show female and male attributes, since a Bodhisattva, in accordance with the Lotus Sutra, has the magical power to transform the body in any form required to relieve suffering, so that Guan Yin is neither woman nor man. In Mahayana Buddhism, to which Chinese Buddhism belongs, gender is no obstacle to Enlightenment.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    kentworld, wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

True.

MKLH likes this.
  16. wlwhittier

Thank you both for a straightforward an' gratefully received presentation! Though certainly not Enlightened, I now feel well illuminated about Guanyin.

MKLH and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. bosko69

Thanks Bodhisattva Whit-we all have the Maitreya within.

MKLH and wlwhittier like this.
  18. wlwhittier

Each Contains All.

MKLH likes this.
  19. bosko69

-and All Contains Each and I can barely contain myself.

MKLH likes this.
  20. bosko69

Whit-Being far north of me,have you ever been to Canada's Gulf Islands ?

Draft saved Draft deleted