I'm thinking of buying 3 paintings from a friend; 1 - 1962, 2- turn of century - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 19, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who knows I love art showed me these 3 paintings he found in a storage unit won at auction & asked me if I wanted to buy them. I couldn't make out 2 signatures & 1 is 4-5 initials?

Can anyone tell me who the artist is on any of these and any thoughts on them - would you buy 1 (I don't have to buy all) or more if you could?

Thank you for any information, I truly appreciate your help!

ART PAINTING ANTIQUE OZ ABSTRACT 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING ANTIQUE OZ ABSTRACT 3AA.jpg
    ART PAINTING ANTIQUE OZ RABBITS 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING ANTIQUE OZ RABBITS 2AA.jpg ART PAINTING ANTIQUE OZ RABBITS CAA.jpg ART PAINTING ANTIQUE OZ RABBITS DAA.jpg
    ART PAINTING ANTIQUE OZ SHEEP 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING ANTIQUE OZ SHEEP 1BAA.jpg ART PAINTING ANTIQUE OZ SHEEP 2AA.jpg
    ART PAINTING ANTIQUE OZ SHEEP 3AA.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

This is what is written on the support/center wood of frame; I'm hoping these may help somehow?
    I'm sorry for bad photos; I took these with my phone from the back of my friend's car & told him I'd let him know something by Monday.
    I think the last one (sheep) is the best, but I also think I saw one similar to the 2nd one of a hunter's catch with the rabbits & pheasants before that was valuable (I know this could be/probably is a copy)
    Again, any help or thoughts is truly appreciated - thank you!

ART PAINTING ANTIQUE OZ SHEEP 3BAA.jpg ART PAINTING ANTIQUE OZ SHEEP 3BAAa.jpg ART PAINTING ANTIQUE OZ SHEEP 3CAA.jpg

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

If I came across these, I'd would not pay attention to the last two.

I'd look twice at the first one and then keep moving on.

4. journeymagazine

well since no one else said anything I guess I will pass on them!
    Thanks Roaring20s

Potteryplease likes this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Personally I find the first one rather interesting and I like how the figures are depicted. If the price was good/cheap I would have considered it. I however still think it might be a student/amateur work (also keep in mind my art knowledge is rather quite limited:))

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.

samuelcaulfield1 and Roaring20s like this.
  7. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Anyone who would charge you for those is not a friend…

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't seem to hate these as much as the others do. It really would depend on cost, as I see nothing too great here. I have not been able to attribute any of them. I would probably give any of them a shot at $20.00 or less. Beyond that, I would have to think long and hard about who I have to sell these to.

Figtree3 and Potteryplease like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I see someone dragging a body.:confused:
    (I can't tell if the body is dead or alive.:nailbiting::bag:)

Potteryplease and say_it_slowly like this.
  11. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I too thought dancers.

12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Yes,I also thought a dancer/ballerina in a tutu.

13. journeymagazine

He told me it was ballerinas/dancers too.

Draft saved Draft deleted