Featured I'm sure the group will be able to beat Google Lens at the identification game

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Brian Warshaw, Aug 24, 2024.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I saw this 45cm necklace and bought it as it was within my weekly pocket money allowance. There are 59 beads, the largest 2cm long x 2cm diameter, although opposing sides of the diameter are flattened. The fastener is a brass torpedo type.

I really don't know what it is made from. Possibly Angel kiss coral, however the beads a a bit cylindrical, so I dismissed that thought. Carved human or animal bones, a bit gruesome, so I dismissed that too. Carved ivory beads, what's the chance that it would end up in a charity shop?

These were some of the suggestions from Google Lens. What can group members suggest is the true material?

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

14.jpg

4.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’m seeing faint Schraeger lines.

3. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

I see elephant ivory in this also.
    Although it is now by CITES forbidden to sell them within Europe if you don't provide the right documents, I find them plentiful in secondhand shops, flea markets etc all over my country.
    Everyone had an aunt/uncle in Congo in the old days, so I suppose they will keep popping up regularly.
    Yours are made more like in the 'Congo-style', with irregular shaped beads.
    The perfectly rounded beads were more European style

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I believe you mean angel skin coral... however I agree with the others about ivory.
    I occasionally see ivory in my local thrifts but leave it be. I'm not interested in wearing it (other than an ivory cameo!) and it's illegal to sell.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing ivory too, although tagua nut is possible too. I pick up some ivory when I find it, if the design is good, but not to resell.

mirana and kyratango like this.
  6. Brian Warshaw

I'm having both my cataracts done in December, so perhaps I will open my eyes on Christmas day and see them too.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This would explain why all the photos are too out of focus really to render a solid opinion.

In the one that's best I see some fine parallel lines in the largest bead & some of the others. Ivory that has been cut lengthwise can show such lines. I do not see the crosshatching pattern of Schreger lines anywhere, so maybe another member will point them out to me. I've had cataract surgery on both eyes but still readily miss things in photos. If they are ivory, it's sad to think that someone used it to whittle these crude beads.

I have another suggestion for the material: helmet shell. Scroll down to the middle of this page & see what you think:

https://cameotimes.com/index.php/reference/materials-guide?start=1

You're going to find out what color white is again. :wideyed:

8. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

What a remarkable education that link provides...Thank you!

Brian Warshaw and Bronwen like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I was wondering if that's what I too thought I saw..........................

Brian Warshaw and Bronwen like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.
    Brian lives in France, so I assume native-made ivory beads from French African colonies can be found there, as well as Congolese beads via Belgian.

Overhere it was relatives in Indonesia, and wayang puppets and Djokja silver instead of ivory necklaces.:joyful:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2024
    Brian Warshaw and Dessert58 like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd rather find the Djokja silver if finding stuff to resell. Or to hoard. :p:p:p

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Brian Warshaw

All very interesting, thank you very much. If I can get a better focused photograph I will post it [them].

13. Brian Warshaw

I have managed to get some steady hands photographs. I hope they will make the identificaton clearer, and not make the tusk more difficult. And that is my thumb in the background; with a much clearer set of parallel lines.

Incidentally, can the age of the elephant be determined from space between the lines?

@Ownedbybear @Dessert58 @bluumz @evelyb30 @Bronwen @wlwhittier @Aquitaine @Any Jewelry

16.jpg

17.jpg
    17.jpg

18.jpg

mirana and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you, those are very good. Definitely ivory.
    Not that I know of.

mirana likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, absolutely Schraeger.

Draft saved Draft deleted