Identifying welsh Dresser

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by ahoneywill, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ahoneywill

ahoneywill New Member

Good morning
    I picked up this dresser from a neighbor who as had it in their garage for years .they are not sure on history as picked it up years ago to fix up and sell on .I would like to know the year ?? If possible .it looks like oak and a friend as also said oak .the one thing we do know is there used to be a clock in the top middle section of case .so can anyone help ?? Thank you

Attached Files:

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Any markings on the back or underside?
    Can u show us how the drawers are made ?
    Is the hardware original , & can we see a close up?

3. ahoneywill

ahoneywill New Member

Morning thank you for your reply .I have attached a few more pictures .there are no markings on the back that I can see and the underside I have not looked and would need help to turn over .the locks look original but in my opinion and i know nothing the brass handles look like they were put on later ?? Thanks again

20160901061521.JPG 20160901061508.JPG 20160901061448.JPG 20160901061422.JPG 20160831185302.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2016
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I have seen such dressers with longcase clock movements in and with fusee timepiece movements although it has been years since I saw the last one.

It probably dates from the early 19th C. With furniture it really helps if you state what country you are in. What would be unsurprising in Britain would be rare in the US for example.

It helps if you select 'full image' for pictures.

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

From the UK Af,
    Celtic southwestern peninsula of England, but they tried to trick you with the spelling of neighbour :rolleyes:

ahoneywill likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Handles are replacements, but still old. I do like the fact you can see where the carpenter drew his mitre line.

The back panel is interesting. I suspect it was originally an oak chest with iron hinge fittings and someone reused it. Or a door, even.

7. Ownedbybear

Ah, Kernow. ;)

Decent bit of country furniture then. I bet it had half ring handles. Not what I'd call a Welsh dresser.

bobsyouruncle and daveydempsey like this.
  8. ahoneywill

ahoneywill New Member

So what would you call it ??

9. ahoneywill

ahoneywill New Member

I'm from united kingdom Cornwall .

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Hard saying about this one and not being well versed in English furniture makes it more difficult for me. Obviously, the drawer hardware and back are replacements so no clues there. Looks like the hinges are not correct as well. What about the key hole escutcheon? A lot of the clues we use in dating are missing. A better look at a drawer bottom (from the underside) and the inside of a door panel might help. I think this is easily late 19th century but could be even older. Af's analysis of early 19th century could be correct. How common would it be to incorporate a tall case clock into a cabinet in the early 19th century vs. late?

11. afantiques

How common would it be to incorporate a tall case clock into a cabinet in the early 19th century vs. late?

The only examples I have seen were datable to the early 19th C by the clock movements. I have never seen any late 19th C examples.

I'd be looking for clues inside the clock aperture (any seatboard still there?) and inside the middle door under the aperture (any weight marks or pendulum marks?)

12. Ownedbybear

Sideboard or dresser. I'd like to see the lock, please!

13. ahoneywill

ahoneywill New Member

Ok I have taken a few more pictures.it would appear that the clock would not of had a pendulum as there is no aperture for it to go through .I have got a picture of the clockmountings ..in the space where the clock was is a opening to the top of the unit ??(pic attached) also picture of the inside one of the doors and the inside of the bilottom of the cabinet complete with cobwebs not got in that part with a hoover yet !! Also one of the locks . ultimately I am looking at selling this so trying to get ideas on a realistic price to ask ? 20160901182618.JPG 20160901182601.JPG 20160901182539.JPG 20160901182502.JPG 20160901182527.JPG 20160901182539.JPG 20160901182437.JPG 20160901182421.JPG

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am beginning to think this whole thing has been cobbled together from bits and pieces. The doors are oak and I am seeing a lot of pine elsewhere. The doors look like they are being used backwards and sideways with moldings added. Is that a patch at the bottom of the inside of one to hide an old hardware hole? Not sure what the last pic is of but that slot cut in it indicates that the lumber was used elsewhere before being incorporated into this cabinet.

15. ahoneywill

ahoneywill New Member

The last pic is inside the old clock housing picture is looking up to the top of the unit..the shelf is certainly pine inside the bottom half .the patch is actually a bolt on one of the inside of the doors to keep shut . thanks for everyone's comments .I am a complete novice when it comes to this just interested before selling on . have not got a big enough house for this

16. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

This is a new animal for me. I've haven't seen one before. I was surprised to see it called a dresser. I would have said a sideboard. Researching them online, I was surprised the big majority of them are listed as dressers! Here are a few I found listed as dressers and I think like af said most early 19th century.

http://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/rare_shropshire_genuine_clock_dresser_c1820/as118a368

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-ANTI...250188?hash=item25a690144c:g:xBAAAOSwa39U09K2

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0038/lot-fb25577d-0495-4e25-805c-a5ee00cb4d7f

http://pendle-antiques.co.uk/produc...h-century-oak-dresser-with-grandfather-clock/

--- Susan

17. afantiques

In Britain a sideboard is usually a waist high flat top with cupboards and drawers under and possibly a mirror or other low back.

A dresser has a range of shelves up to 6 or 7 feet high.

A Welsh dresser typically has a lower working surface than a sideboard and a range of shelves. often with no back.

kentworld and gregsglass like this.
  18. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I'm totally ignorant on this item but op clearly wants some idea of a typical selling price expected in his area, and we obviously have to rely on one of the 5? UK residents on this thread to supply that info. My take is that this is a usable but not a collectible piece, so where does that fit in his local used furniture price structure?

19. afantiques

I have not got a big enough house for this

A crucial comment from the OP Trouble is that this is a common condition. A parking space in Cornwall can cost £10,000, a decent sized house half a million, because of all the retired folk from everywhere else colder wanting to live there.

I can't speak for the Cornish market specifically but I agree with Spring, it is usable rather than collectable, and at auction I'd expect about £100 - £150. A dealer might buy it to reinstall a clock and sell as a clock dresser, but given how depressed the brown furniture and the clock markets are it may just go to someone to be useful in their home.

Considerable age does not work any wonders in the UK market, there is still a lot of country made furniture out there. 300 year old oak coffers can be had for around $200. Some late Georgian or Victorian furniture can be had free if you can take it away.

When the styles swing back, all the shabby chic stuff will be given away and the country oak command hundreds and thousands, it's just the way it goes.

yourturntoloveit and gregsglass like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

af's definitions are, as you'd expec spot on. Having seen what seems to sell in Cornwall to the Second Home Trendy Set, I'd agree £150 absolute tops. It would probably sell better in the Cotswolds, country houses and all that. The grockles prefer that sort of The Hamptons look, all faded seaside tat.

Draft saved Draft deleted