Identifying pottery (maybe Central American?)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by john.c.conrad, Oct 14, 2017.

1. john.c.conrad

john.c.conrad Member

I am reposting this question in it's own thread in case some of the experts might have missed it.

Is this an incense holder of some sort? What is it's origin? Thanks! IMG_6151.jpg

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The style of the animal is distinctive, so surely somebody has an idea? Unless you got a reply on the other thread...

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  3. john.c.conrad

john.c.conrad Member

I'm so curious, but no one knows yet :/

Ghopper1924, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I tried to search this a bit and came up blank. I am thinking South American. Maybe Peru. That animal reminds me a bit of some found on Nazca pottery but that background design and form are unusual.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I would think it's Greek, or at least influenced by Greek pottery, based on the form itself and the lion/tiger imagery.

Here's the web site for Polytropon Art, a contemporary Greek pottery, that has some background information about ancient Greek pottery styles, and shows a pot that is very similar, or at least could have inspired this piece (about half way down the page):

http://www.polytroponart.gr/greek-pottery-styles/

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think Taupou has found the inspiration, in Proto-Corinthian pottery. Check out the piece depicted on this page, second image into the article. It also includes similar background decoration... the flowers(?) or leaves(?).

https://www.ancient.eu/corinth/

I wonder whether yours is also somewhat emulating the form of that one, although it's different enough that it might not be.

Ghopper1924, verybrad and judy like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Boy was I off. Think Taupou and Fig are on the money.

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, that tiger/lion motif is seen a lot in Mexican pottery. It was just the form that didn't look right for it being Mexican, and made me think more of Greek pottery.

Draft saved Draft deleted