Identifying/more info about side by side secretary

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rue27, Jun 29, 2023.

1. Rue27

Rue27 New Member

Hi there, I am trying to identify the maker of this side by side, if possible. I am also just curious about it in general and would love this group's help on learning more about it (or confirming what I was told). It was advertised as late Victorian/oak. It has some hardware that could support that like the shelf pins (marked: Patented March 16, 1897) and some square head screws possibly?--on the hind leg. But there are other elements of it that are curious to me, or I've never seen before, like the upper ornate woodwork protrusions being designed to slide off on a wooden track. It seems some hardware has been replaced over the years, but the lower cabinet pull seems to fit the original circular imprint. It does have one number (79) engraved on the back, but otherwise I couldn't find anything else. I tried to share pics of everything I mention, but please let me know if I can share anything else. And thank you for any help.

Purchased in Philadelphia (Manayunk). Measurements: 37x13x67 inches
    10.jpg
    _1.jpg
    1.jpg 2.jpg View attachment 444082 11.jpg 13.jpg IMG_0909-min.jpg IMG_0920-min.jpg IMG_0912-min.jpg 18.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not designed to slide off. That is a glue joint that has failed. Turn of the century golden oak, so late Victorian is correct. Probably never find who made this but it doesn't really matter.

Rue27, Bakersgma, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  3. Rue27

Rue27 New Member

Thanks @verybrad . Much appreciated! I have read through the different finish tests, but would be very mild soap and warm water (on a wrung out rag) be a safe option for cleaning off surface grime? If I should start a new thread for that question, just let me know. Thank you again.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

here is fine....

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Great option for cleaning. Murphy's oil soap is best but any mild soap will do. Once clean, a coat of paste wax for protection.

Rue27 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted