Identifying Minton Armorial Bowls

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bellah, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Bellah

Bellah New Member

Hello - I'm trying to find out more about 2 bowls with encrusted gold borders and armorial crests: one crest reads "honi soit qui mal y pense." Believe they're Minton - however, the identifying marks on bottom are not like any I've seen before. One is unmarked; the other simply says Minton (see photos).
    Any help identifying these would be appreciated!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Since I don't know about your plates, I'll just contribute this, from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Garter

The Most Noble Order of the Garter, founded in 1348, is the highest order of chivalry and the third most prestigious honour (inferior only to the Victoria Cross and George Cross) in England and the United Kingdom. It is dedicated to the image and arms of Saint George, England's patron saint.

It is awarded at the Sovereign's pleasure as a personal gift on recipients from the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth realms. Membership of the Order is limited to the Sovereign, the Prince of Wales, and no more than 24 members, or Companions. The order also includes supernumerary knights and ladies (e.g. members of the British Royal Family and foreign monarchs). New appointments to the Order of the Garter are always announced on St George's Day, 23 April, as Saint George is the patron saint of England.[2]

The order's emblem is a garter with the motto Honi soit qui mal y pense (Middle French: "shame on him who thinks evil of it" in gold lettering. Members of the order wear it on ceremonial occasions.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  3. Bellah

Bellah New Member

Hi GaleriaGila: Thanks for the info re: the Noble Order of the Garter. This provides interesting background to the crest on one of the bowls!
    I'm still looking for leads on the mark on the bottom of one of the bowls. I've read that some older Minton pieces are unmarked, but I've not come across anything showing a handwritten "Minton" mark as it appears on the piece I have. I'm not an expert by any means, and am interesting in trying to identify authenticity, age, etc.

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Bellah - I looked in Godden's Encyclopaedia of British Pottery and Porcelain marks and it does list a printed block letter Minton Ltd mark on earthenwares circa 1900-1908. So a mark that simply reads Minton is not unheard of. I think a more likely explanation, though, is that the mark is meant to deceive. For some reason I can't really explain the fact that the mark is in red script bothers me. I've seen a lot of British porcelain marks but very few, if any, in red except for some old red transferware pieces. A third possibility is that it's another company's name for this particular style of blank. Trademark infringement would have made the use of the mark for that reason very short term.

I guess none of what I wrote above is terribly helpful. If you're looking to list this for sale, I would simply say that it is marked Minton and let the buyer decide for themselves.
    Don

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Bellah

Bellah New Member

Hi Don: Thanks for taking the time to look up the mark and for your detailed response. Much appreciated! I'm also suspicious of the red mark. I've located pieces of Minton pottery with a similar border (different armorial crest) but they have a clearly identifiable Minton stamp on the bottom.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could be Minton. Could be restaurant or hotel ware.

(It's embarrassing to go into a restaurant and flip the plates over to see who made them... but I do it.)

Figtree3 and dgbjwc like this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Used to be a restaurant in Philadelphia called the Astral Plane this was in the late 60s. All of their food was served on Depression Glass. You could buy the dishes if you wanted them. Everything was in different patterns and colors. Breakage was wide spread especially with the hot water dish washers. I brought some of my most expensive pieces there for under two dollars. My favorite piece was a Swirel Pattern pitcher in teal for 3 bucks. Sold it for over a thousand two months later. The owners had thousands of pieces of Depression Glass in storage.
    Ah the good old days.
    greg

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Draft saved Draft deleted