Identifying a family crest

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Anyiquesbyjewels, Aug 6, 2024.

1. F4F61E7E-9003-4F2F-B46C-C9B933706646.jpeg EF444B78-5976-4D91-BE12-4867162A3DA1.jpeg Hello

I Hope everyone is well

I was looking for some help identifying the family crest on this Recently purchased signet ring from the UK.

Thanks in advance for any input

Dessert58 and kyratango like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is that a bear paw clutching an oak branch?

Debora

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's ringing bells, but whether they're alarm bells, school bells, dinner bells or dumbbells..? I'd bet one of the British contingent can suss it out.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Curious - only three fingers.

upload_2024-8-6_17-5-34.jpeg

Anyiquesbyjewels and kyratango like this.
  5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Different version of this one?
    [​IMG]
    Described as 'hand holding oak'. Not sure if the Dexter crests are based on actual crests.
    And I didn't find a hairy version...

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This one is a (mailed?) fist holding an olive branch, as I see it. So, suggestion of might upholding the peace, something that way.

7. TreaShore

TreaShore Member

I thought the same exact thing when I first saw it. An olive branch for peace just like The Great Seal of the US. The "berries" (olives) being mid branch and the shape of the leaves match better than an oak.

Still, Marote did do a great job on fining a very similar looking ring in the oak branch fashion.

Marote, Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know if this helps. It's from Fairbairn's Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland by James Fairbairn.

It seems to be the reverse image though I wonder if it's a seal as that would be reversed when stamped I think.

I know next to nothing about crests but here is what I found and the family names associated.

Plate 68, figure 10

20240806_215554.jpg 20240806_215241.jpg 20240806_215317.jpg

Example of how it's described for one of the names. I think lion and laurel branch.
    20240806_221338.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This is absolutely correct. Seals & signet rings are cut as an intaglio in reverse of the correct image.

say_it_slowly and Marote like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted