Identify these small African pieces

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Romank_9, Jul 24, 2022.

1. Romank_9

Romank_9 New Member

AA792522-D859-4065-A8C0-D72183EC0810.jpeg 90AB7731-76C4-4172-A225-6C3274EA990A.jpeg 9804B72E-61D7-4F61-B242-A5D48F3E355C.jpeg 8D44B8FF-C8AF-488D-8464-4791EA090D84.jpeg I happen to stumble across these and I’m curious in the history of them. Should I even keep them or toss them? Are they of any value and what do they mean?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2022
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Romank_9

Romank_9 New Member

Yeah sorry they were too big so I had to compress them but now they are up.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

african
    likely bronze
    the middle one may be a late 1800's gold weight...( akan)
    the ring is superb .....maybe Benin...

if u toss them.......toss em here..:woot:

Any Jewelry and Roaring20s like this.
  5. komokwa

6. komokwa

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Romank_9

Romank_9 New Member

8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

much primitive power,very striking ! they could be as Komo said, gold/scale weights-if You want to toss them I can privately email u my address.

komokwa likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This type of 'gold weight' is a later development in Akan gold weights, the valuable old ones are relatively plain, and don't depict people.
    Many of these 'little guys' are made for export and tourist trade, but yours looks older than most.

The ring is also West African. It reminds me of Senufo rings, but @2manybooks can probably tell you more about the origin.
    She may also be able to tell you about the intriguing figure on the right.

komokwa likes this.
  10. komokwa

the line forms behind me !
    :playful::playful::playful::playful:..;)

11. komokwa

Early weights ( 1400 to 1700 )display bold, but simple, artistic designs. Later weights * 1700 to 1900 * developed into beautiful works of art with fine details. However, by the 1890s (Late Period) the quality of both design and material was very poor, and the abandonment of the weights quickly followed.

That ring...kicks ass.....IMO !

12. komokwa

Many of these 'little guys' are made for export and tourist trade, but yours looks older than most...

millions , in fact !
    but I can't see the humans being anything better than late 1800's...

the ring...... is more nummy num num !!!:hungry::hungry:

13. bosko69

Komo-Lets shake for 'em.

14. bosko69

Remember the scenes in Rid Scots 'Gladiator' when Russ Crowe prays to His household gods/lost loved ones-any poss relationship to these tiny effigies ?

15. komokwa

not that I know of......

& if u catch me on a good day......I may ..rock paper scissors u for them....

the ring is the kicker ....unless 2MB sez sum-thin to the contrary.....

16. bosko69

I've just started a recycling co. for older bronzes-50 cents a lb seems reasonable.

17. bosko69

Well then-It's damn well time for postin' an 'oldie' on the Arts Forum-I got this for me 40th B'Day 2000 yrs ago-an I barely feel a sec older !
    It will have 'Marihuana' in it's title-aaargh Maties,take this strange roughshoad tale wif me effin ye ken ?

18. komokwa

P1010008.JPG

u won't get within striking distance of mine at that price !
    :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:,,;)

19. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

As others have said, the little fellow with a staff is probably an Ashanti/Akan gold weight. Probably made of brass (or related alloy - because they were made with recycled metals the composition can be variable), and made using the "lost-wax" method of casting.

The Ashanti (Asante) are part of the Akan ethnic group, located in Ghana, in West Africa. Historically known as the Gold Coast, the region was rich in gold deposits, and gold dust and nuggets were used as currency up until the late 19th century. These small cast objects were used as counterweights in a scale when measuring out the gold for transactions.

The weights were made in a variety of shapes, some simple geometric forms as well as animal and human figures often illustrating Akan stories and proverbs. Small, artistic, and often amusing, they have been popular as souvenirs of the region for many years. Although no longer used for weighing out gold, artisans have continued to make them for sale since the early 20th century.

These websites have additional information and show examples of the variety of gold weights:

https://fowler.ucla.edu/behind-the-scenes-ghanaian-gold-weights/

https://www.nms.ac.uk/explore-our-collections/stories/world-cultures/gold-weights-from-ghana/

The ring is quite nice and interesting. It looks somewhat similar to rings/pendants attributed to the Dogon (and neighboring groups) in Mali, and may be from that region. You can see similar spiral cone shapes on these pendants:
    [​IMG]
    https://brunoclaessens.com/2014/09/objects-of-the-day-three-dogon-pendants-from-mali/#.YuALyb3MLIU

And a similar braided design on this Dogon equestrian pendant/ring:
    Dogon ring.jpg
    http://www.karlssonandwickman.com/tribal-metal/hdpzcx3brezd3n1044zdje0t3f7jih-n4ye3

As for the freestanding female figure, it is rather generic, but it does resemble some Ashanti carved wooden figures. It may have been made as a charm, as a gold weight, or as a souvenir.

Ashanti female carving 2.jpg
    http://www.karlssonandwickman.com/new-items/u4uv3va67cvmivt2lrm0so569kvkmp

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted