Identify & Restore 1917 Violin

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Gorn1120, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

I had my sister buy it before anyone else had the chance. It may be a risk, but I feel it's worth it.

I didn't get a chance to inspect it much, but I got it for $50! Paper said restoration cost was around $1,000 and would be worth about $3,500.

I'll add pictures tomorrow, but here is some info:
    -Was owned by a man in the metro area of MN who worked on violins; I believe he passed away
    -It's from 1917
    -Country of origin (should have that info tomorrow)
    -Needs new bridge
    -Has a case and two(?) bows

Should I call the store and see if they have any additional information?

*Browsing Google Images* :wideyed:

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I guess my first question is who's provided this "Paper said restoration cost was around $1,000 and would be worth about $3,500."

My next questions, how much do you know about violins? Can you do the restoration yourself or do you know someone who can?

Look carefully at the bows. Sometimes they are worth more than the violin.

Brenda Anna and komokwa like this.
  3. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

I know nothing about violins, but my other half does. However, I'm hoping to restore this and surprise her with it. :kiss:

Like I said, I should enough information tomorrow for us to figure it all out.

I will likely be looking for a restoration professional in the mid-atlantic region.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Figtree3, Gorn1120 and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Remember...when you get the best....the cost can be justified .

Brenda Anna likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And at $50 for a violin, you can't get hurt too badly no matter what. If nothing else, it makes a good display item.

Gorn1120 likes this.
  7. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

It was probably a ballpark guess by someone who knew the owner personally. I wouldn't assume it's incredibly far off. We'll see.

8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

A good idea. With violins, only a professional can really tell about quality and value versus restoration cost. It is not like guitars, where there were relatively few manufacturers, and labels were generally honest (A Martin guitar is a Martin guitar, and can be valued fairly easily).
    With violins, there were many thousands of makers, and a long history of false labels.
    When I took one of my violins (a 1797 J.G. Ficker) in for appraisal to a reputable Seattle shop, they consulted huge reference books with information on signatures, labels, maker's history....a very interesting process. They ultimately provided documentation of every aspect including every repair that had been made over the years. An old violin wears its history...... The bow, 75 years newer, was still valued in the $500 range, and needed a whole different set of reference books; so you want to have the bows looked at by a professional also.

Brenda Anna and Figtree3 like this.
  9. evelyb30

As often as not the bow is worth more than the violin. Some of the old French ones can be worth a small fortune.

10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Yes, and not just French...the bow I use with my German violin is an 1849 German bow. It can be great fun, if one is shopping for a new bow, to try some that are totally beyond one's budget. See what a $5,000 bow feels like compared to a $500 bow; there really is a difference. Of course, the comparison can make it hard to settle for the one that is affordable.

Brenda Anna likes this.
  11. evelyb30

English too. American-made pieces don't tend to be valued as highly.

Brenda Anna likes this.
  12. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is the man in the clipping the one who made your violin?

14. evelyb30

That poor thing! I might have rescued it too.

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I wonder, too, about the connection with the guy in the clipping. Looks like St. Paul. Minnesota?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  16. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

Yes. I couldn't remember what city, so I said metro.

17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Thought the OP was going to come back with more information. I am curious as to maker and about the bows. Also, it is not clear what kind of restoration is needed. I don't see anything in the picture that would take $1000.00 to restore.

Brenda Anna likes this.
  18. evelyb30

OTOH we can't see the back or the inside.

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Never take the word of the person selling an item. Sorry to sound cynical, but I started working with my parents in their shop when I was 8 and I'm 66 now. That handwritten sign doesn't mean a thing. $50 is probably a good deal.

However, before you take it to a restorer, first take it to a quality music shop and have an appraisal done. Think of how many times you've seen Antiques Roadshow tell people if only you hadn't touched it, it would be worth thousands. Now it's only worth hundreds. I'm not saying you have a treasure, but the guy restoring it isn't going to tell you no because he wants the money.

Also, unless the person who included the clipping with the violin can prove they go together, it means nothing. Don't call the store you bought it from. They'll tell you what you want to hear. Again, go to someone qualified to look at it in person and give you accurate information.

lloyd249, Gorn1120 and Bakersgma like this.
  20. Gorn1120

Gorn1120 New Member

Lyon and Healy violin, which were imported from Germany.
    Eureka Violin Chicago
    1917 style 1005

The violin was a pending project on the St. Paul store owner, Ken Amundsen. It was purchased from C.H. Highley in Marion, Indiana.

"His regular customer list includes some of the most celebrated musicians ever to pull a bow across a violin. Ricky Skaggs, Alison Krauss, the Duttons, and the fiddler with Kenny Chesney are just a sampling."

His current age is/was 70; I haven't found a definite indication of death, but his business is now closed via Google. His website is still up, though. http://www.amundsonviolin.com/

Attached are additional photos.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted