identify pottery mark, pls

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LIbraryLady, Mar 30, 2017.

1. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0216.JPG IMG_0217.JPG IMG_0218.JPG IMG_0219.JPG This low planter has a
    mark on the bottom. Approx. 7 inches long; maybe 3 inches high. I know it is at least 25 yr. old, but beyond that is anyone's guess. Does anyone recognize the mark, or have any information to offer that help me determine its origin? TIA

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its chinese, I had a blue one almost exactly like this one and thats where it was from.

judy likes this.
  3. LIbraryLady

Interesting. I didn't foresee that. Somehow I thought it was going to be some type of craft/pottery operation in the U.S.A.

Thank you.

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Please bear in mind thats just an opinion,I could very well be wrong. :)

5. LIbraryLady

Well, I appreciate the input. I think that that is what this forum is supposed to do. So your contribution is welcome.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It's a bonsai pot, almost certainly of either Japanese or Chinese manufacture - it should have a drainage hole, but they often show up without, used to contain an artificial planting or a soon-to-die young bonsai...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  7. LIbraryLady

That makes perfect sense. It seemed too shallow to use to force spring bulbs, and I was wondering what to do with it.
    Thank you.

8. DragonflyWink

9. DragonflyWink

I have a couple of bonsai, but usually pick up these empty pots cheap to plant with succulents, drilling drainage holes if necessary...

33201711421.jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Bakersgma likes this.
  10. LIbraryLady

Well now I know! Looks like you have a green thumb. My daughter loves growing succulents, so I'll offer it to her.
    Thanks.

DragonflyWink likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted