Identify patform rocker

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by KerryOn, May 25, 2018.

1. KerryOn

KerryOn New Member

IMG_0904_mail.jpg IMG_0916_Chair.jpg IMG_0915_Rocker.jpg IMG_0917_Chairback.jpg IMG_0919_RockerBack.jpg IMG_0921_ChairBottom.jpg IMG_0922_RockerBottom.jpg IMG_0924_RockerBottom2.jpg IMG_0931_CarvingDetail.jpg IMG_0944_RockerCasterDetail.jpg Hello All! New member. Have a basement full of old stuff that I bought or inherited and am now going through them to see what I have! This is a set with a platform rocker and a chair. Not sure of age as got at a garage sale. Searched for identifying marks but could not locate any. There are no screws but a few flat head nails. I've posted pictures of what I think you may want to see to help identify. I'm interested in the age and the type of wood. And of course any otherr information you might have on this chair! Happy to post more and answer any questions :)

Postscript: Sorry about the misspelling in the title... can't seem to change it!

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. KerryOn

KerryOn New Member

A couple more pictures... close-up of wood grain and flat head nail under armrest. Both the rocker and the chair have the nail in the same place so don't think it was a repair.

Attached Files:

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Please go back and edit your post hitting the FULL IMAGE icon next to the pics....
    for those looking on smart phones...:):)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late Victorian (Circa 1900) mahogany and other woods stained to match. Would think were originally part of a larger parlor set.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. KerryOn

KerryOn New Member

Done. Thanks for letting me know... Just learning how to use this forum!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. KerryOn

KerryOn New Member

Thanks! I can't find anything similar to these on the internet. Nothing with this ornate of carvings. All the ones I saw were of the 'Eastlake' style or the carvings were much less ornate. Any thoughts on where these were made? American? European? Also, do you happen to know what the carving is depicting?

7. KerryOn

KerryOn New Member

Do you happen to know how I can correct the spelling on the title of this post?

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

next time
    read twice
    post once....

no worries.....:singing::singing::):)

KerryOn likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, KerryOn.
    You can go back to 'edit' and correct the title, but that option is only available for a couple of hours. Don't worry, we misspell words all the time.;)

KerryOn and komokwa like this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I love your chairs. Not the finest if it was the carvings would not have been on a flat piece but carved out. I absolutely love your buffet in the background. Welcome to the best board on the internet!!!!
    greg

LIbraryLady and komokwa like this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

American. Quite a few of them out there. Made for a lot of years in various styles. By the time your set was made, they were available mail order through Sears and Montgomery Wards. Here is a catalog page ….
    [​IMG]

A typical set had 5 pieces but larger and smaller sets could be ordered. Most sets did not survive intact. Here is an ornate set from the era that is intact today...…

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted