Identify Ornate Cabinet and Dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by kaylay, Jul 15, 2022.

1. kaylay

kaylay New Member

I found this pair of items at my local thrift store in Southern California and I'm considering buying them -- wondering if anyone has any thoughts on where/when they might be from, style, quality, etc. The accents look pretty unique and potentially hand-carved to me, but I can't find any mark or label or name anywhere. Given that, I'm certainly not expecting any precise ID, but would love any insight about the style and/or time period! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @kaylay and WELCOME!! You might want to give it a little time and keep checking back!! There are a number of members who should be able to help you, or at the very least steer you in the right direction! I'm going to tag a couple for you, to start!! @verybrad, @Ghopper1924 ??? And I'm just re-posting the one image of the bottom section that posted sideways!

Dresser.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The cabinet has wheels under it, so probably pre-1920. Furniture often had wheels so you could move it to clean. They disappeared after WWI in the United States. This piece looks like it wants to be from elsewhere, but the OP said "thrift" so I'm thinking it's in the USA.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'd have to say a rather conservative 1920-ish. Could be from the northeast US or northwestern Europe. Beautiful early Deco-era veneer. The applique ornament is neo-Reaissance and looks to be machine-made. Rather lush with baroque-looking metal pulls. Probably very high end when crafted. A very nice pair; its doubtful that you'll find anything better from the era.

Jeff Drum, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. kaylay

kaylay New Member

Thanks guys! I got some photos of the construction at the back and the corners of the drawers too - the wavy metal pieces looked interesting to me. Are they unusual? Let me know if these can tell you anything else about the pieces! Thanks so much.

IMG_6353.jpg IMG_6354.jpg IMG_6355.jpg IMG_6356.jpg

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

The wavy metal pieces serve the function of staples, keeping disparate pieces together.

komokwa likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think a bit newer than the others but likely pre-WWII. I do think American, with quasi-French styling.

Draft saved Draft deleted