Identify lane furniture and restore help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Clairepowell3737, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Hi, I would appreciate any help or suggestions. I purchased this cabinet for $30 dollars yesterday. I live in an area where way to many mid century pieces are having chalk paint cover them...I’m hoping to restore this piece but can’t find a similar image to what it originally looked like or if it was originally a blonde. Unfortunately I can see someone attempted to sand a large area on this cabinets face. So I’m very hopeful I can save it. Also there’s some debate as to if this is an actual Lane cabinet due to the back mark being stamped in yellow paint as opposed to ink.

Attached Files:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4DFCCBF1-36E6-49D5-9FDF-ED2C19299373.jpeg 5AA305EF-CD4D-4471-AFE2-DA7BE5ADCAAE.jpeg Welcome To The Forum, Claire! :)
    If you check Full Size next time will be better. Also there is a Furniture Forum.
    @Ghopper1924 @verybrad
    Just calling some people’s attention who usually deal with Furniture.

Clairepowell3737 likes this.
  3. i need help likes this.
  4. i need help

No problem, We were all new here once. ;)

5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Blond finish looks original. I can't see the label well, but can see this as being made by Lane in the 50's or so, when American companies were making a lot of blond finish. I can't see in your pics from far away where any finish was removed. And unfortunately in my experience blond finish is one of the hardest to restore. If anyone has had success I hope they post it here since I've never been satisfied with my own attempts.

Although made mid century in the time of MCM, this is not Mid Century Modern since it is not "modern" style, so doesn't have high demand in my part of the country (New England) even though made by Lane.

Ghopper1924, i need help and verybrad like this.
  6. i need help

Sorry for the oversight, Jeff :) I’m lucky if I can think of 2 people. ;)

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree completely with Jeff. The problem with these finishes is that they use bleaches and toners that are impossible to match. Once sanded, the natural unbleached and without toning wood begins to show. You can try to completely strip and sand them to attempt a new even finish but it will not replicate the original. My experience, is that paint is the only realistic option. This is part of the reason that pristine MCM pieces command good money.

The good news here is that your piece is not one that will ever command a high dollar. It just doesn't have the styling sought after by the MCM aficionados. Those that do appreciate the styling will probably like it nearly as well painted.

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  8. So just looking over the piece and realized that’s not blonde...it’s stained from I assume cigarette smoke. It was originally white...any ideas on the markings? 1013-66 or maybe GG?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would be a model number

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  11. What did you google to find those?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Took a chance with "Lane cabinet white".

Tried "Lane cabinet" first and got too many non-matches, so added "white" since yours seems to be white based on the stamp on the back.

Edit: Might have added the search word "vintage" at the end. In any case those green ones popped up on the opening page.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Ghopper1924 and Clairepowell3737 like this.
  13. Is there a way to look up model numbers for Lane furniture?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Agree with Jeff and verybrad; at this point I'd rely on paint to get it fresh again. Anything else would be more labor than it's worth, especially if the results are uncertain.

Clairepowell3737 and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted