Featured Identify antique cabinet and value

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Made up name, Oct 15, 2022.

1. Made up name

Made up name New Member

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like you've inherited a pretty special 'sideboard' from your Grandmother, in what looks like GREAT condition that's been well cared for!! And my first thought was 'that sure looks like Old Man Winter'!!! But I'd prefer to tag a few members who are better at helping with ages of these pieces than I am!! @verybrad,
    @Ghopper1924 are two I think of first........

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't think that's meant to be Old Man Winter. Given it's a foliate head, the Green Man much more likely.

Debora

greenman-blackwell-lg.jpg

Houseful, Ghopper1924, bluumz and 5 others like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What a lovely piece ! Pristine condition too. I see some carved elements but i see what might be pressed ones too. Im going to guess 1870s.Im also thinking from across the pond,maybe England,maybe France. All guesses though.

5. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

I second Debora, I am pretty sure that is more Green Man than anything else.

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Third.

Made up name and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Aesthetic movement sideboard with humble yet beautiful field flowers (daisies, asters or what have you), as well as acanthus leaves and yes, the green man. Probably ca. 1885-95. Standard period decoration, though I can see why you thought it was seasonal.
    Wonderful condition! You probably will never know the maker, as most Victorian manufacturers did not label their work. And there were thousands of them!

8. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

9. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Also, IMNSHO, undervalued in today’s market. Furniture has fashions like clothing (though the cycles are slower), so what cost a fortune 20 years ago might sell for a tiny fraction of the cost of a modern, newly made equivalent.

Of course I can’t predict the future, but (again, in my opinion) right now you have a beautiful, useful, most likely very solidly made piece of family furniture that will sell for about the cost of a nice bicycle… but if you take good care of it, in 20 years you will *still* have a beautiful, useful, most likely very solidly made piece of family furniture that will at least sell for about the cost of a nice bicycle… but could also possibly sell for about the cost of a nice used car.

johnnycb09 and Made up name like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't add too much. Also think circa 1890. Also think it is European in origin. Don't think anyone mentioned, but it is oak.

11. Made up name

Made up name New Member

Thank you everyone. I learned a lot about this piece. Great forum!

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  12. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I sold a Buffet Deux Corps a few years ago with similar motif - particularly the carved ribbon tied floral swag/garland. it was Belgian.

Made up name and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted