Identify age (and value?) of chaise longue

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by mseren93, Feb 22, 2020.

1. mseren93

mseren93 New Member

https://ibb.co/JRQ1HMB
    https://ibb.co/sy5DJcY
    https://ibb.co/V3mhqp6
    Hello, does anyone have any ideas when this chaise longue might have been made?

It was purchased by my grandfather in the 1970s and it was recovered in the 1980s. I suspect some of the wood panelling on the side has been covered over but I can’t be sure. The legs are chunky wood but again, no idea what type of wood... any help appreciated! Thank you

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. i need help

4. i need help

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Late Victorian chaise lounge.....I am bad with wood - does it scratch easy like pine? Maybe stained oak....love the feet!!!

judy and i need help like this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like walnut ca. 1870-90, judging only by the foot :). Agree that some of the wood trim was probably covered when the piece was reupholstered.

i need help likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Where was it bought?

i need help likes this.
  8. mseren93

mseren93 New Member

Hello, thank you all! It was bought in the 1970s at auction in Penzance... no idea what was paid though!!! It was my grandfather’s who is no longer with us. We are looking to sell but had no idea where to start without knowing anything about it!

judy likes this.
  9. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Any chance you can turn it on its side and remove the fabric ticking underneath to get a better view?

10. mseren93

mseren93 New Member

There’s a lot of hessian underneath with LOADS of stud tacks keeping it in place so I’m a bit reluctant to disturb all of that...

11. Ownedbybear

Probably mahogany, then. Have a grope and see if you can feel springs through the sacking. I think it's late 1880s and yes, a chaise longue.

12. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

With all the grain lines in the wood and it being a lighter shade in the worn/damaged areas I'll go with stained oak too.

13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

So I wasn't sure what the difference was between a chaise lounge and a fainting couch.

Both definitions from Wiki

Fainting couch
    A fainting couch is a couch with a back that is traditionally raised at one end. The back may be situated completely at one side of the couch, or may wrap around and extend the entire length of the piece much like a traditional couch. However, fainting couches are easily differentiated from more traditional couches, having one end of the back raised.

Fainting couches were popular in the 19th century, and were particularly used by women. Some houses would take this to the level of having separate fainting rooms, where these couches would be the featured furniture.

Chaise Lounge
    A chaise longue, ("long chair") is an upholstered sofa in the shape of a chair that is long enough to support the legs.

In modern French the term chaise longue can refer to any long reclining chair such as a deckchair. A literal translation in English is "long chair". In the United States the term lounge chair is also used to refer to any long reclining chair. In the United States, chaise longue is often written "chaise lounge".

i need help likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Good luck !
    That could be a hard sell in these days of cramped quarters..

judy likes this.
  15. mseren93

mseren93 New Member

Yes I can feel springs. It’s surprisingly comfortable to sit on!

judy likes this.
  16. mseren93

mseren93 New Member

That’s really interesting, thanks

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  17. mseren93

mseren93 New Member

Just tried and it doesn’t seem to scratch easily - the grain is really close on it. 1C589EFB-2691-427A-88E3-37F107986E8B.jpeg

18. mseren93

mseren93 New Member

A few more pics... 344074C6-B89F-404C-9D30-643774CE559E.jpeg

Attached Files:

19. mseren93

mseren93 New Member

DB5347E6-074A-470C-BD30-8730C4EDDFF5.jpeg My husband thinks it’s oak...

20. Ownedbybear

Ah, good close up. I agree on oak. Nice bit of Victorian pseudo Gothic carving.

We really don't call those fainting couches in the UK. Nor does it ever get spelled lounge. ;)

I think whoever recovered it has indeed gone over the frame.

Draft saved Draft deleted