ID this Chinese reverse painted snuff bottle?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Wolfrott, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Wolfrott

Wolfrott New Member

I was given this as a gift from my Mum, who bought it at an antique store in Hobart, Tasmania.

I've never collected glass antiques before, let alone Chinese painted glass. Can anyone help me ID the artist and period?

The dimensions are:

5cm tall (with cap)
    4cm wide
    1.5cm wide neck
    1.5cm wide red stone(?) cap
    1.5cm deep bottle

image.jpeg

Here are my photos, in my album :) https://www.antiquers.com/media/albums/wolfrotts-collection.60/

yourturntoloveit and lauragarnet like this.
  2. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

To me it looks like the black outlines are not handpainted, just the colours are filled in by hand. I think age is 20-30 years at most.
    Mat

3. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

What does the inside of the cap look like?

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Forgive me, but at that size and tiny opening, I cannot wrap my head around it being "reverse painted." A physical impossibility to my mind.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

MillCove - Look at her album in the link. Many more pictures have been posted there.

6. Mill Cove Treasures

Thanks Bakers. Duh. :p I still have brain fog from the weekend when I was up all night while the electric heaters ran. I don't know how I did that when I was in college and still managed to pass my test. It's been three days and I still want to back to bed.

I agree that this is modern age. The piece under the cap is definitely modern.

7. Wolfrott

Wolfrott New Member

Sorry for the late reply!

Can you help me explore how its modern age? Is it the bottle, the painting, or...?

8. Mill Cove Treasures

The painting isn't detailed like you see on older snuff bottles. Your bottle has an outline of scene and someone painted in large washes of color, like a coloring book.
    Also, the "marshmallow" looking piece under you cap is modern. They didn't use that on older bottles. It was usually cork, ceramic or some type of wood.

Look at these bottles. If you hover over the picture or click, it will enlarge. The color is applied in detail and not with large washes of color.

https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2719B/lots/454

Here is a link to several pages of snuff bottles at this auction house. You should be able to find several to compare.

https://www.skinnerinc.com/search?s=Jade+Snuff+Bottle

cxgirl, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  9. Wolfrott

Wolfrott New Member

Thanks for the helpful links!

This is incredibly depressing. I obviously don't know the price of my gift, but have estimated it to be around $300, and I've gotten it valued at $15 aa a modern piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted