ID please - small wooden table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bear Mom, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Bear Mom

Bear Mom Member

I got this table from my parents storage in Texas. I believe they picked it up at an estate sale years ago. It’s in pretty rough shape, lots of water damage and is missing a brace at the bottom.

The drawer is in the best shape and has a pretty color.

28” h
    9 1/2” d
    24” w @ back
    15” w @ front

I am asking for an ID of type of wood (is possible), age, purpose and value.

Thinking of staining it as my first project piece. I know it will take some work and it will still look rough when finished.

Thoughts?

2BF2C4C7-4206-48DF-AF1F-F56DC5651ABA.jpeg 459651BB-98A5-41E9-932D-817918B3C9F7.jpeg A5D8EC0D-2B98-4DED-AC6D-2FE27C7D742D.jpeg B706D7C2-3219-4FC4-A7EF-455537739251.jpeg 1C712BD7-7C33-4F47-B546-22C0EFDCE3AB.jpeg 6767A456-25D9-4EDF-A743-202AE621D74E.jpeg 2BF2C4C7-4206-48DF-AF1F-F56DC5651ABA.jpeg 459651BB-98A5-41E9-932D-817918B3C9F7.jpeg A5D8EC0D-2B98-4DED-AC6D-2FE27C7D742D.jpeg B706D7C2-3219-4FC4-A7EF-455537739251.jpeg 1C712BD7-7C33-4F47-B546-22C0EFDCE3AB.jpeg 6767A456-25D9-4EDF-A743-202AE621D74E.jpeg

judy and Darkwing Manor like this.
  2. norman warbreck

norman warbreck Well-Known Member

Dear Bear Mom
    This sad table needs a resting place....in the garden perhaps loaded with pot plants.
    Not worth the time and effort...the top is Oak and a veneer and the rest could be just about anything. Its really past its value day.
    Good luck with your project,,,,,smiley

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Mass produced little occasional table,very cheap when brand new .Probably 1930s . Unless theres sentiment involved,I also wouldnt really bother. Even restored to pristine condition,youd be lucky to get more than $10 . The products to redo it will cost you $30-40-50 .

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

too far gone to redo economically

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It was a cute table at one time, but sadly in very poor condition. It's going to take a lot and I mean A LOT of work to sand and refinish.

If you want to make this a project - I wouldn't spend time refinishing it. I'd sand it and paint it. The legs are the most interesting part.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] upload_2020-2-7_23-7-26.jpeg [​IMG]

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am goin with Cluttered on this one

7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I love its shape !! .. Joy.

Aquitaine, kyratango, komokwa and 6 others like this.
  8. Bear Mom

Bear Mom Member

Thank you everyone. I believe I received my answer.

I am going to use it as a practice piece to learn how to refinish. It is only for my use and I don’t plan to sell it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t some rare table worth millions.:joyful:

Now I know I won’t ruin anything but it will give me a chance to practice and learn how products work and how wood reacts to them.

I really appreciate this site and how honest people are without being rude. That’s hard to find sometimes.

Again, thank you!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I really appreciate this site and how honest people are without being rude. That’s hard to find sometimes.

There are no other sites like this !!!! :happy::happy::happy:

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The oak blocking you are seeing in the top was never meant to be seen. A veneer that better matched the rest of the table would have covered it.

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes, agreed.

Personally, I would find a suitable piece of ::something:: to cover the entire top with, depending upon how you decide to refinish it..

Bear Mom, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Suggestion. Broken tiles or broken old china on top. Something like blue and white shards. Then paint the rest in an old white, not a bright one, and buff it back with a bit of wax to look worn. You can probably get damaged blue and white 19th C plates for very little, if not free.

13. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

You're smart to practice refinishing to learn how products work and how wood reacts to them. But I would like to add a word of caution when you take on the next refinishing project -- different woods and different pieces of furniture can react differently to the same products depending on whether the piece is made from a hardwood or softwood, a combination of various woods, how old it is, what type of original finish it had/has, etc. (my husband had a custom woodworking business so I know a little from the issues he dealt with). There are probably people on this forum who can advise you if you have specific questions down the road.

14. Daryl Yeates

Daryl Yeates Playing at being an 'antique dealer'

Bear Mom
    Like you, I am enjoying this site and agree that there is just no rudeness with the answers. We're not all experts and are happy to learn.
    From the UK

15. Bear Mom

Bear Mom Member

Very brad

Thank you. That provides the answer that I was looking for about the non-matching wood.

I appreciate your help very much!

judy likes this.
  16. Bear Mom

Bear Mom Member

17. Bear Mom

Bear Mom Member

Thank you. I am looking into a veneer option.

18. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Lovely, all of them. Bottom righthand photograph: What have you used for the green covering. How did you finish the edging at the top without hiding the edge or allowing the covering to be lifted.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

R U thinking Cluttered did all of these ?????:wideyed::wideyed:;)

Firemandk and Brian Warshaw like this.
  20. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Generally, the tables of this type that are worth restoring are the very well made ones - often English, solid walnut or mahogany. Seen some Jacobean styled examples which are wonderful, despite being factory made.

Draft saved Draft deleted