ID of clear pressed glass dresser box?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, Jan 12, 2016.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The box measures about 4” across at its widest (near the base), and it is nearly 4” tall to the top of the handle (1 5/8” to the top of the ‘bowl’, without the lid). The bottom is polished at the rim, and the retaining ring of the lid is also polished along its bottom.

DresserBoxWithLidClearPressedGlass-a.jpg

DresserBoxWithLidClearPressedGlass-b.jpg

DresserBoxWithLidClearPressedGlass-e.jpg

I was wondering what was familiar about the shape, but it’s a butter dish shape, isn’t it? The designer took a covered butter dish, detached the sides from the lid and attached them to the underplate, and scaled the whole thing down.

komokwa and lauragarnet like this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Maybe a container that goes with a vanity set? Do you think it's too small to be a powder box?

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The mouth opening is about 2 ¾” across and the interior sides go straight down. It's almost the same diameter as a purse compact-mirror that I have, so I guess it could be a powder box. Really not familiar with them.

4. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Your title influenced my thoughts, but can't do better. I don't agree with butter dish, mainly because the bottom is wider than sides or top. Seems a bit small for a powder box and at this moment can't come up with anything better than the ubiquitous trinket box, but those aren't usually in clear.

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Maybe meant for small candies or nuts?

Draft saved Draft deleted