ID cobalt mark on large stoneware crock?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by hokeypix, Jul 12, 2015.

1. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

Would appreciate any clues as to what this cobalt blue mark is, and age/value of crock? Seems to be between 2-4 gallons (guessing). Thanks! image.jpg image.jpg

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I hope someone knows the answer to this. A similar critter showed up on the AR, and was worth $$$$$$$!! My grandparents had those things all over the place... Wonder what happened to them.

3. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure there is anything to "decipher." I normally think of that term when trying to read bad handwriting.

The upper part does look like a very loose 4, but the rest may be some kind of swirly mark that has a name among crock collectors. Think "bee sting" although isn't one. Have you considered contacting Crocker Farm?

5. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

Thanks - what's crocker farm?

6. Bakersgma

7. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Bakersgma and hokeypix like this.
  8. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

Wouldya look at that! Thanks, all. When do you suppose it's from? Would you sat $100 - 150. is a general ballpark value? (no chips that I can see).

9. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

Does size matter with crocks, assuming the decoration is similar? (Just in general terms, wondering). They also had a plain crock, small, but with no decoration (but more of a neck) and also an even smaller butter crock, but the butter crock had a generic looking graphic of a woman (perhaps with a bonnet) and the word BUTTER which struck me as a souvenir-type piece, even if older. And a large chip. Thoughts....?

10. 42Skeezix

I'd leave the others. Unmarked is not valuable. The other screams repro by your description.

Your in the ballpark.;)

hokeypix likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

So glad you dropped by, Don. I would never have thought to call that a bee sting. Guess I'm so used to the really fancy ones, simple one just didn't ring any bells.

12. 42Skeezix

I guess most you see in photos are usually better/best examples. There are a lot out there with simpler designs.

I've had several basic bee stings over the years. Sold 'em for 50-150 mostly, way back when. Then I discovered the Red Wing connection. BOOM 250-300 easy money at the bigger shows.
    Back in the Nineties.
    Not today.:(

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree that this is a basic bee sting mark and that it is a stylized 4 above it for 4 gallons. This one looks to be in great shape and the 4 gal. size is not very common.

These crocks are still strong in my central IL location. I can never touch them at auction with enough room for resale. Always over $100.00 and sometimes they really take off beyond what they should. You can sometimes buy them cheaper in shops than you can at auction. :wacky:

say_it_slowly likes this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Here on the East Coast. I sold 20 of my collection from 1 gallon to 40 gallons. This was in 2008 I got from 10 bucks for the smallest to 30 bucks for my 40 gallons ones. The most money came from the 3 gallons to 5 gallons. Not many people had room for the 15/20 gallons. they were the last to go.
    greg

15. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

In the Midwest crocks do VERY well and the bigger the better. Bee sting decoration is considered very desirable.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted