I thought this was going to be easy...I expect you have guessed

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Jun 27, 2024 at 10:08 AM.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Yep. It isn't easy, at least for me it isn't: so help, help, help me please.

It''s Minton, after 1912. Printed and impressed marks. It doesn't have a cypher, unless it is part of the impression. Some on ebay, although there isn't an equal, say it is Imari style, others suggest it is flow blue.

It is 26cm diameter and slightly dished, so perhaps a soup plate. If you look at the views of the backside, elements of the design show though. If one looks at the face, with the sun behind, there is no shadow from fingers. The finish has the appearance of white pyrex. It also looks as it has never been used.

It was then that I looked at it critically, and found the the central lyre design was different from the others I had seen. From just right of the bottom of the lyre a set black antlers is growing. For comparison of the lyre design please look at https://www.ebay.com/itm/265707019897 unfortunately, I cannot copy the image as it is an InfanView WEBP File.

So what do I have? A fake? A unique prototype?

Your words of wisdom please.

Minton amarii blue A.jpg

Minton amarii blue D.jpg

Minton amarii blue B.jpg

Minton amarii blue C.jpg

Minton amarii blue F.jpg

Minton amarii blue G.jpg

Minton amarii blue J.jpg

Attached Files:

johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Those 'antlers' look like someone wrote a figure 3 an' a Euro symbol with a magic marker.

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Rather late for flow blue, but that's what the dark decoration looks like. Strange.

Brian Warshaw and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Obviously some shop wrote that in marker,wich sometimes seeps into the glaze and is impossible to get off. Try magic eraser.

komokwa and Brian Warshaw like this.
  6. Brian Warshaw

@johnnycb09
    You're an absolute wizard. I didn't stand back far enough |na although I washed it in Minton amarii blue M.jpg bicarbonated water, it hadn't touched it. But lighter fluid did the trick.

komokwa, johnnycb09, Marote and 2 others like this.
  7. Brian Warshaw

What about the material? Some advertisers say ironstone; others porcelain, and I think it could be a demi-porcelain. It is about 1/8th-inch. Weight is 535g. It is glazed all over

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024 at 2:12 PM
    johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. Marie W

Marie W Member

I had a Minton piece that I could NOT get a clear ID/date on. It turns out all the available materials I could find online were for china, and my plate was stoneware. I actually wrote to the Minton archives and inquired, and they helped me. They were also kind enough to tell me that there can be mistakes with some of the marks over time (mine was marked for one year but was in production a different year). It was a learning experience for sure! (I would give you the email address for the archives site I used, but I cannot find it at the moment)

Marote and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. Brian Warshaw

@Marie W
    Thanks for the clue. I have found out the archives are at Stoke Museum, and have found the email address.

I'll let you all know the end results. Thank you.

kentworld and Marote like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted