Featured I Spent $500 on Shipwreck Silver Coins from SS Central America

Discussion in 'Silver' started by TreaShore, Jul 26, 2024.

1. TreaShore

TreaShore Member

One of my favorite topics to learn is maritime history and to collect related relics. I recently ordered $500 in shipwreck silver coins from the famous SS Central America and I wanted to share their history with everyone. These 1853 and 1855 Chilean 50 Centavos are pretty unusual due to the fact historians and marine archaeologists were able to piece together clues to find the original owner.

Pascual Esquerra was a Chilean businessman who was aboard the ship as it sailed its way to New York in 1857. In addition to his chests of silver coins was 30,000 Lbs of gold with a melt value of round $1.1 billion. The SS Central America encountered a hurricane off the coast of South Carolina and eventually sank claiming the live of 425 people including Mr. Esquerra. It is surreal to hold these coins when you know the sad history behind them. I like to make little videos of my purchases to convey the stories behind them.

2. TreaShore

TreaShore Member

Here is one of the 5 coins I purchased. I couldn't restrain myself from purchasing a bunch. upload_2024-7-26_23-3-14.jpeg

3. TreaShore

TreaShore Member

4. TreaShore

TreaShore Member

I noticed the price of these coins jumped from $99 to $175 literal during the time I was editing this video. Dang, should I change the title to $875 in shipwreck coins? jk Nice profit I guess.

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I have a fondness for shipwreck coins even though I don't own any. I handled hundreds during the summer of 1985 when I lived in Key West and worked for Mel Fisher's Treasure Salvors on one of the search boats. We found the 1622 wreck of the Nuestra Senora de Atocha and brought up silver and gold coins, silver and gold bars, raw emeralds, and various other items. Fun memories!

mmarco102, TreaShore, Boland and 8 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Must have been thrilling.

Debora

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I had a piece of eight from the Atocha . A former roommate relieved me of it,along with several other things .I have long wanted another,but way out of my wheelhouse now !

8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Great pieces of history.

TreaShore likes this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Very much so! I lived there for two years. I only wish I'd had a camera. My parents visited me once while I was living in KW and took a few rolls of photos but they were lost in a basement flood. :(

komokwa likes this.
  10. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Nice! I collect old coins and this is really cool.

TreaShore likes this.
  11. TreaShore

TreaShore Member

Amazing story. That would be so much fun, but I don't think I could be in the presence of all those artifacts. It would be a be such a teasing experience. I'd want to keep all of it.

bluumz likes this.
  12. TreaShore

TreaShore Member

Sorry to hear that. I may have an Atocha coin pendant. I say "may" because the man who sold lost the certificate. It is not one of the reproductions made from Atocha silver. Its 14k bezel markings and style are spot on. The coin style and salt water effect are consistent. I scored it for under $50 at an estate sale and wear it today.

johnnycb09, bluumz and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted