I need some help with this Sheffield Stilton cheese scoop please.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by bercrystal, Jun 25, 2023.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I got this in a large lot of assorted sterling & silver plate items.

I assume the handle is silverplate but was wondering about the marks. Do they just signify Sheffield or a specific company?

I am also wondering about the handle. Is it bone or something that I just need to ignore? ;) :p:rolleyes::happy:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!! :happy::happy::kiss::kiss:

silverbell and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The very worn diamond shape would be for the specific com, but unless you can make out at least a few letters it is difficult to say what company.

I think the handle is some kind of celluloid not bone.

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Can you tell what is on the back of the handle closer to the scoop? More letters?

And on the front? Inside a losenge?

4. silvermakersmarks

silvermakersmarks Well-Known Member

"Made in Sheffield" is just a generic label with no information about the maker. The diamond shaped mark is a design registration mark, but without any detail it won't give any information (which would really only be the exact date of registration with no information about the manufacturer).

5. bercrystal

I took another look at the marks & if the design registration mark was ever readable it was worn away from years of use & polishing.

The front only has a design just below the handle & just above the scoop.

If the handle is celluloid that would be okay.

Thanks @Bakersgma & @silvermakersmarks!!! :happy::happy: :kiss:

6. Bakersgma

Your first picture shows something just below the scoop on the front of the handle. Is it just scratches? Looks more coherent than that.

Your second picture also shows what may be letters on the back of the handle between the scoop and the fleur de lis (?) And you can see an S and A in your 5th picture.

7. bercrystal

There is a kind of geometric design on the front involving different size "dots". I think it is supposed to be decorative.

I thought those were just random scratches from use but they appear to be "151 CC TX". It looks like someone just scratched it into the silver with a sharp pointed instrument. :confused::confused:

8. Bakersgma

Thanks for looking, I guess it meant something only to the maker or a previous owner.

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted