I need some help with possible Cartier Silver dish

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Bdigger, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Ok....I found this little dish(5 3/4") at the flea market today for $1. It came in a blue felt Cartier marked bag,. It also came with a Holiday note in a Cartier embossed envelope. I can find no marks on the dish itself. No Cartier marks , no hallmarks and no sterling stamp. I have no reason to think these do not belong together, but I'm not that familiar with silver, but for $1 I took a chance. Can any of you help me find info on this piece? I have tried and come up clank. The note mentions LANVIN - CHARLES of the RITZ. DSCN4588.JPG DSCN4587.JPG
    DSCN4590.JPG DSCN4595.JPG DSCN4592.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Corporate gift - not sterling, but may be silver plated. It could be from Cartier originally, but without any marking on the item itself, there's no proof. For a buck - it's okay, though! ("Your personal contribution to the growth of Lanvin-Charles of the Ritz" probably means it was given to employees.)

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Corporate gift as above. Green was president for only two years, 1972 & 1973-ish. The "Inspected" sticker says it all. (Unfortunately!)

Debora

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

bag is way to big and likely had a tray that fit !

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

As Debora said I have never seen an inspected sticker on a sterling piece but have seen many on plated pieces. It looks plated to me and not sterling. I bought a sterling Cartier bowl the other day and it was clearly marked as such. Even the luxury companies made plated stuff. I have a hand mirror from Tiffany that is plated. You did good for $1 as the bag itself is probably worth $5-$10 to the right person.

judy likes this.