I love this, I just don't know what it is. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Riffmax, May 20, 2023.

1. Riffmax

Riffmax New Member

2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Going to need more pics. Inside the bowl, under side, close up of mechanism ,what happens when the cog turns? With little to go by, I would say it is a wheat grinder.

silverbell, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is there anything inside the bowl? If not, I'd say it's just an interesting conglomeration.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @Riffmax . I don't know the answer, but with more photos somebody may come up with an identification.

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Ditto Figgy-bigger/better pics.Any verbiage on the piece,is the gearing wood,i assume there's a hole in the bottom of the top tray ?
    To me it looks like some kind of primitive winnowing/flour milling piece-but that's just a wild guess.

6. Riffmax

Riffmax New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

It doesn't look like there was a handle or crank on either side of the worm screw, or whatever its called.

I'm thinking maybe the cranking mechanism attached through the hole on the bottom, under the gear.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Riffmax

Riffmax New Member

And no, there is no opening at the bottom of the tray.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Riffmax

Riffmax New Member

9. Riffmax

Riffmax New Member

10. Riffmax

Riffmax New Member

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd guess it's made from 3 different items ........and is now lawn art...

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Riffmax

Riffmax New Member

Hubby thinks it's just a random conglomeration made to look old that isn't actually anything at all.

I feel like someone went to an awful lot of trouble to make it look legit, if that's the case. I have plenty of things that aren't legit, and this doesn't look like any of them.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Cream separator?

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Bookahtoo

15. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

After seeing your pictures I am going to go with a whimsical conglomeration. That is a Dough bowl but the stand would not be sturdy enough to knead dough so they had this great gear mounted already that they liked so they attached the bowl to A) raised popcorn bowl by your recliner B) knitter's bowl to hold yarn by their recliner as they knitted c) bowl to hold veggies or fruit OR D) as my father use to say to me when I asked what something was for ,"to make you ask questions"

Figtree3, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  16. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

It's the first invention by Ron Popeil-a "Kinetically-Powered Sledgeomatic Juicer/False Teeth Irradiator/Cow Caller/Cat Box Cleaner Cole Slaw Dicer"...and i need it bad !

komokwa likes this.
  17. Bookahtoo

I'm sticking with a cream separator and I'll bet it's worth a pretty penny. It's beautifully made.

18. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

19. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Bingo! Squarely hit 16d finishing nail struck with a greasy ball-peen hammer...Spot ON!

say_it_slowly likes this.
  20. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

No way it would work as a cream separator - no spouts, and no way to spin the bowl. It is a nice confection, though.

"What Is a Cream Separator and How Does It Work?
    A cream separator was used to separate the cream from the milk after the milking was finished. These machines used centrifugal force to send the cream and the milk to separate spouts where each by-product flowed into its own containers.

The person operating the separator, usually a farmer's spouse or child, would turn a handle around and around. The cranking created a powerful spin that generated thousands of RPMs and in turn spun the container around and caused the milk to be pulled against the walls of the separator while the cream, which was lighter, collected in the center. These separators came in a variety of sizes from small tabletop models for small farms to huge floor models for larger dairies."
    https://www.lovetoknow.com/home/ant...rator was used,flowed into its own containers.

Draft saved Draft deleted