Featured I love these chairs but I don't know why.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Kasperscuriosities, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

I wish I had a better picture of these chairs. I think they are so... groovy looking. I don't know why but I am really attracted to them with the orange and all. I wish I had gotten better pictures of them but I was rushing as usual. They had several pieces of furniture they were interested in selling. The table seems really bizarre to be. I mean the legs are just so big. My pictures of the other pieces are not too great either. You would think I would think these things through a little better but I didn't have my point and shoot and I only had a 50mm lens in the nikon that I still do not get a long with that well. I was having some issues. Anyways, I know it isn't much to go on but what do you think? 1950 or 1970? I do love the chairs.
    6th-batch--9.jpg 6th-batch--10.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Chairs are circa 1910-20 oak T-backs. The orange seats are a much later addition. Table is probably from the same era or just a tad later.

Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  3. Kasperscuriosities

Oh wow. I really assumed these were more of a vintage or retro thing. I mean that is way older than I thought. I do love the chairs. Thanks! I didn't even ask about the age of these. That's what I get for assuming. The rest of the stuff was much older looking to me. There were two secretaries (my pictures were even worse for those) one with burl wood that is really pretty and another which they said they had been told came out of a post office. Now both of those looked very antique to me. These just didn't look that old to me. She did say that she had the leaf made for the table. You can tell that it has a weird space where it was cut in half. I think it was just that her other stuff had a more antique feel it made these stick out to me. Thanks again Brad you're good, really good at this stuff.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Elephant-leg table

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I usually like orange but in this case I don't think they show off the chairs to their full advantage.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I assume you are talking about the lack of a skirt on the leaf? This probably had multiple smaller leaves originally. They usually did not have a skirt to make them easier to store. They would have been used with a table cloth so having the gap in the skirt didn't matter. Modern wide leaves usually do have a skirt attached. It helps keep them from warping and people tend to leave the leaf in and use them without a tablecloth these days.

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I like them very much too. ;)
    I found a darker set in Eastern WA many years ago. :)

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The chairs have nice wood , clean lines , good back rest, they look solid and comfy....The orange is a warm color & striking without being overly garish ....
    I like em too !!!

9. Kasperscuriosities

Yeah. I think they could work well in most modern homes.

Ah Han about the leaf gap. I guess she had to have a replacement made. I didn't really notice the gap until I looked at the pics layer and once again wrongly assumed she had to have it cut. This is good to know. I was in a huge hurry when I snapped pictures cause I had another meeting and had already spent way more time there than I intended. They had a lot of neat stuff and even more stories which I am a sucker when it comes to hanging out and listening to people's history. She was a very sweet lady and her friend keep saying you are going to do well in this area because we are all going to be moving to retirement homes and needing your services soon. She was happy she was going to be moving closer to her soon and just can't take it all with her. Up until now they haven't has a lot of choices for liquidating. The neighborhood doesn't allow garage sales and the local consignment shop has had the market here cornered for awhile.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Interesting way to repurpose ordinary (albeit older) chairs.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted