I got some buttons - I could use some help WARNING - lots of photos

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Bookahtoo, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I got a box of buttons the other day. I don't think any of them are worth a great deal but I love buttons and I'm trying to learn. I am going to post a bunch of different buttons here. Any suggestions or corrections are greatly appreciated.

1. 3/4" whistle buttons. horn? tortoise shell? I'm pretty sure they're not celluloid
    DSCN2634.JPG

DSCN2638.JPG

DSCN2641.JPG

2. 3/8" openwork enamel?

DSCN2645.JPG DSCN2642.JPG

3. 1 1/8" Earthenware(?), set in some kind of metal - I can't tell if the pattern is fired on or painted on

DSCN2651.JPG

DSCN2657.JPG

4. 1 3/4" ivory shank button - it might not even be a button - it's very thin and has teeth on the shank

DSCN2672.JPG

5. 5/8" hand painted Sirocco wood - are those field hockey sticks?

DSCN2679.JPG

6. Some more whistles - the two larger - horn, the two smaller - earthenware?

DSCN2703.JPG

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

The only ones familiar to me are those in the second picture. My grandmother had troodles of those!

Have you read the three books by the button collector lady?

3. Bookahtoo

No - but I have some really good button sites bookmarked.

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

OMG... another fun thing to collect... you could keep and display your collection in a terrific jewelry box that has lots of earring rows and brooch pockets. #2 buttons are shows-stoppers. Are those rhinestones, or ??????? Beautiful. Would be amazing down the back of a little black dress or such!

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those are golf clubs with a golf ball....
    and the ivory could be for a coat....

6. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

I think they are field hockey sticks. [​IMG]

7. komokwa

i don't think so....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

antidiem likes this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Apologies that I cannot help you with buttons. I'd put BOTH words (hockey and golf) - with question marks - into the sticks buttons listing and let it go on eb - but only after you can get good identifications on the rest so that you'll have more than one lot to offer potential buyer(s).

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Thanks Jen, George, and komokwa. I guess they could be either!

Anti - will do on using both keywords! Thanks.

Silverthwait - do you know where your grandmother got the buttons? I now think these are what is known as Champlevé enamel buttons - where the design is carved or scooped out of the metal and the enamel poured into the shape.

10. komokwa

You're welcome, but no....they're not either....they're golf buttons.

11. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

They do look like they came off of a girl's sports tunic/uniform, so I vote for field hockey.

Jen and George likes this.
  12. komokwa

Ahhh, yer jest looking to push my buttons !!! :):)

Jen and George and Messilane like this.
  13. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

"Golf Clubs of America" and on the one with the blue banner (which has a streak of light so I can't see all the letters) the two clubs have different heads. And, sorry, it has been a long time, so I forget what they are fore (sic).

As for the buttons in picture two, they are typical shirt buttons, made of shell (note purple streaks).

Any shirt of my grandfather's, deemed no longer wearable, was denuded of its buttons (for replacement use), cut into pieces which became dust rags, aprons, (if patterned, the trimmings on aprons (or dish towels, etc), silver polishing cloths, etc., etc.

antidiem and yourturntoloveit like this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Have to agree with Silver on the #2 buttons. They were made from the tens of thousands of mussel shells from the Mississippi River. Some times you find purple streaks some times brown streaks.
    greg

antidiem and Bakersgma like this.
  15. Bookahtoo

The first three pictures are of the same whistle buttons - front, back, and side.
    I thought silverthwait was talking about the next set of buttons. :facepalm:

16. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

The first buttons aren't whistles, although #6 are.

17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I like those enamel buttons, but then I like enamels. That middle one on the bottom row: does it show a Japanese figure? (Just fishing for a close-up.)

18. Bookahtoo

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Sort of a confetti effect. From a distance it looked like it might be a samurai with a red helmet strapped to his head.

20. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

L@@k!! I canz be da keywerdspammmmmer!! haha!!

Yes I think they are golf clubs too after a closer look.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted