Featured I finally get to post in the Silver Forum Again!!!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Nov 15, 2017.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Man, it's been awhile since I got to post in here, my local stores went dry for a few months (or all the other silver hunters were finding items before me). My lack of success hasn't stopped me from looking, and looking a lot. Thankfully, I've found a lot of other non-silver items while I've been hopping in and out of stores, but there's something WAY MORE FUN when you manage to find a little bit of silver.

Today I got lucky and I grabbed THREE pieces of silver for $5.94. They were all in a bag that had silver plated collectors spoons. I don't know the maker for the silver napkin holder, but the two spoons are James Watts.

IMG_1362.JPG IMG_1363.JPG IMG_1365.JPG IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1366.JPG

wenna, pearlsnblume, judy and 7 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Score! You did very well, Nate. The Watts spoons are particularly nice, but that mark on the napkin ring is driving me around the bend.

By clicking for the enlarged pic, I can just see what appears to be a second version of the very worn impression to the left of Sterling 925 Fine, but it's disappearing into the shadow. Is there any way to get a second picture so the shadow isn't obscuring it?

There aren't very many US makers that use the 925 FINE along with Sterling, but the only 1 that came to mind right away is Unger Brothers and what little is left of the worn one doesn't look like their monogram.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you Bakersgma! I was really excited when I found it. The napkin ring looked good as soon as I saw it, I wasn't sure about the rest of the items because it was all packed in a sealed transparent bag. It wasn't until I got home and took some poking around on 925-1000 that I happened upon the James Watts hallmarks.

Here are some close ups of the the napkin ring hallmarks, I will never turn down someone elses attempt to identify something for me, especially from you ;)

IMG_1370.JPG IMG_1369.JPG

judy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

5. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Their most "iconic" designs are high Art Nouveau, but I don't really see that opulence in yours.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I agree...ho hum, I guess it will have to just go into my pile 'o Goodwill silver! ;)

judy likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

I hope you don't plan to donate it! :eek:

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Melt it maybe...but I hope not.

judy likes this.
  10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Haha, I would never melt something like this (no offense to those who do, but I just can't)....Honestly, I haven't sold a single piece of silver I've found thrifting yet. I'm quite sure that if my hobby/obsession continues, I'll have to do that eventually, but for now it's great to just collect and admire. Every piece is nice to look at in its own way, and I like the variety I have going. I have all the makings right now of a rag-tag dinner set.

11. KC Antique

KC Antique New Member

I just cringed when I saw that it might be melted!

Draft saved Draft deleted