I.D. Help – Heraldic double headed eagle vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Honez, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Honez

Honez New Member

I'm curious about this little vase, but haven't had much luck identifying the marks or the design. I've looked at hundreds of images of double headed eagles, and most have a sword or scepter in one claw, as opposed to the two orbs of this design.

Anyone recognize this? It stands about 5.75" tall and is approx 3" diam.

eagle1.JPG eagle2.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Spanish heraldic eagle?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The Greeks use(d) a double headed eagle with a crown and cross above, from the Byzantine empire days.
    I think the emblem on the shield or breast is called a Tetragrammatic cross.
    This may be a early tourist Greek Island piece.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Honez

Honez New Member

Thanks folks. Greek might explain why I can't figure out the signature on the bottom.

I've tried sending off some pics to a guy who specializes in different styles of crosses, to see if he recognizes anything. We'll see.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I spoke with a Greek friend and he does not believe it is from Greece nor is it a Byzantine emblem.
    He thought he could read the word Espania on the base which would indicate Spain, but I`m not sure.
    He thinks its fairly modern too.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it says Alaera.
    Janet

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Honez

Honez New Member

Aha! It's funny how one can't see something, only to have it become obvious once someone else points it out. España seems clear as day now.

Some fresh perspective and some new Google terms led to an auction item that bears a resemblance in form and style. This item is certainly older, and may have been the inspiration for the design of my little vase.
    vase_auction.jpg
    The expert on crosses points out a similarity to the emblems of the Carmelite order. He suggested I visit the local Carmelite order to inquire, which would be an interesting way to spend an afternoon in any case.

carmelite_cross.jpg

This is why I love hunting for antiques. This little vase probably isn't worth anything, but the process of learning about it has been so much fun.

8. Honez

Honez New Member

daveydempsey likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect it's the arms of a village, town or city. Might be a communidad or autonomia.

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Are items with this shape always meant as vases? The inward curve makes me wonder if they could be used as a drinking vessel?

11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

As far as the crest/coa once you get to looking more I have no doubt you will find that the brown one containing three stars under the vector cross has no connection whatever to the vector cross with three dots.

12. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

The shape dates back to late medieval, early Renaissance Europe. The shape, known, as an Albarello, is often referred to as a drug jar. These jars were not originally meant to be used as decorative vases but rather storage jars. Most existing early examples have lost their covers but almost certainly they were produced with lids to cover the contents inside the jar. (Cited from: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/i-d-help-–-heraldic-double-headed-eagle-vase.4779/)

Pat P, Honez and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Honez

Honez New Member

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Walter.

It wouldn't surprise me if the convex shape was used to make it easier to hold a jar when pouring out its contents.

Draft saved Draft deleted