I can't Begin to Guess What This Was For...Can You?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by morgen94, Mar 21, 2021.

1. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine went to an estate sale in, as she said, "A very interesting old house." She added it was in the hallway "leading from the most dilapidated garage you've ever seen, to another narrow hallway to the kitchen. The powder room is between this wall it is on and the back door hall." I am completely stumped. Have you ever seen this before?
    upload_2021-3-21_19-27-56.png

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

For something that you don't want to take into the main part of the house, but you want to be able to grab it quickly again on your way out ...

kyratango and morgen94 like this.
  3. Bookahtoo

What might that be, that has that round shape, or can be folded or shaped easily into that round shape, to fit behind the flat piece of wood ...

morgen94 likes this.
  4. morgen94

The same thoughts that went through my head. I said it looked like a place for a platter, but why would it be there?

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Collapsible opera hat.

Firemandk, kyratango and morgen94 like this.
  6. morgen94

What a GREAT suggestion! That fits all the obvious features, so I think you nailed it! Thank you both very much.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  7. Shangas

I can't decide if I was kidding or not. I mean on one hand, yes I was. But on the other...

WHAT ELSE FITS THAT SHAPE!!??

judy, kyratango and morgen94 like this.
  8. morgen94

Exactly! Your kidding-or-not answer fits everything perfectly and the more I look at the thing a collapsible hat makes perfect sense. It also hits all of bookahtoo’s points, too.

judy and kyratango like this.
  9. Shangas

I'm guessing that this...FIXTURE...for want of a better word...was in like, a mud-room or something, between the garage and the kitchen? So presumably it held something that was put on/taken off when one went traveling?

How old is the house? How big? Do you know? That might help us figure out what it is.

morgen94, judy and kyratango like this.
  10. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

maybe for the chauffeur's cap and jacket?

The chauffeur often doubled as general handy-man. Having these by the garage made sure he could be presentable at a moments notice - wash up in kitchen, grab hat & jacket, get car out.

WAG ;)

11. Bookahtoo

I think it might have been made for something unique to someone who lived in the house. If it was something that was commonly called for, there would probably be an existing piece of furniture - like a hall tree, hat rack, or coat rack.
    Maybe a mobility device? A tool for their profession?

12. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

True - I was thinking of that description of a narrow hallway - might not have room for a full coat rack.

morgen94 likes this.
  13. morgen94

I will ask my friend for details about the house, but I think it was a small, unimpressive place (so not likely to have had a chauffeur). I just said to someone else that I suspect that narrow hall probably didn't have room for something like a coat closet or hall tree, etc. and, as I noted, Shangas' idea fits all the hints as to the purpose.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i see no scuffing on the wall...to suggest use.....
    and a poor paint job..

morgen94 likes this.
  15. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Wall could have been repainted....but it was likely for something very specific to the family and the location...folding laundry or shopping basket...tray for Grandma's meds....Grandpa's rain-hat....

morgen94, Bakersgma and Bookahtoo like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like it held a frizbee................

Firemandk, morgen94 and all_fakes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted